1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Repairing network adapter

Discussion in 'Networking' started by town5141, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. town5141

town5141 Thread Starter

I'm trying to repair the wireless network connection by right clicking the icon in the lower right tool bar but I get the following error: "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Disabling the wireless network adapter. Make sure your netwrk adapter is properly installed". I have a Toshiba Satellite M45 so everything has been "pre-installed". I'm very new at the whole computer "tech" thing so I do not even know where to begin. :confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Begin by telling us what you've done wirelessly. :)

Is the wireless adapter switched on? I think on Toshiba the switch is on the front of the laptop and the LED indicating the status is red.

Have you detected a wireless network and connected? Yours or a public hotspot? What happened to cause you to attempt the repair?

3. town5141

town5141 Thread Starter

The wireless adapter switch is on and I have detected a wireless connection: my Linksys. However; my signal strength was "very low". In the past, I've repaired the network and the signal strength was increased. When I tried it this time, it gave me the error. I haven't done anything different - at least, not on purpose.

4. hrPUFFnSTUFF

hrPUFFnSTUFF

gday I am unsure of this are you able to update your WAN miniport in device manager/network adapter/WAN miniport and WAN miniport packet shedualer
    sorry about the bad spelling

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Can you connect using a cable?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    'Repair' shouldn't be affecting the signal strength. Is this happening close enough to the router that you shouldn't be having a signal strength problem?

7. town5141

town5141 Thread Starter

Yes, I'm very close to the router. Repairing the network has always helped in the past. I'm still able to connect wirelessly, but the signal strength isn't always what it should be. At work I connect to the internet via an ethernet cable and an exchange server. As for the suggestion to update the WAN mini port, I am not sure how to do that.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "As for the suggestion to update the WAN mini port, I am not sure how to do that."

Me neither. But I think that person was thinking what I'm now thinking ...

See if there is an updated driver for your wireless adapter (especially if it is an Intel one). If you don't already know, you should be able to determine what it is by looking at the wireless connection in Network Connections or at the wireless (WLAN) under network adapters in Device Manager. Go to the Toshiba web site and see if there is a newer driver.

9. town5141

town5141 Thread Starter

I searched for an updated driver through the Toshiba site and unfortunately, there are none. I also ran a diagnostic test on the network drive and it passed.

10. invalidusername

invalidusername

The link below show the specifications for laptop M45-S355 (click on full specification tab):
    http://shopper.cnet.com/notebooks/toshiba-satellite-m45-s355/4014-3121_9-31423802.html?info=specs

According to it the wireless card is:
    Wireless NIC Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG

Go to the device manager, as shown below, to identify your Lan adapter,
    http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025417.htm

Then see if it is what is shown below, if so, download and replace what you have.
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=1637

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice