1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Repairing Win XP Home

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deeceedee, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deeceedee

deeceedee Thread Starter

In the past 2 weeks my apps were taking an unusually longer time than usual to load ( 15 seconds instead of the 2 - 3 seconds I'm accustomed to ). I ran Avast , M'soft Antispyware , Ewido , Ad Aware , Defragged , Error checked , Disk Cleanup, with no results , so decided to try a Win. Repair using the CD, only to get the message " Setup cannot continue because the version on your computer is newer than the version on the CD"

I'm using a Dell Latitude Pentium II l'top, with 363 MHz, 20 GB h'drive / 192 MB RAM / Win XP Home Edition 2002 ( OEM Plus Product Recovery CD ) / SP 2.
    The h'drive was upgraded to 20 GB's from 10 , in 2003 using the new OEM CD( supplied with the purchase of the h'drive ), and since then I've loaded SP2, IE 6, and some other Win security patches and was working fine till the apps started loading slow. Have the upgrades anything to do with this and can you offer any advice including if a " repair" is somehow possible ? Would it do the trick , and if so how to go about the repair ?

Regards,

Deeceedee

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

well your cpu speed is below the system requirements for xp and your ram is slightly above. this dont mean it wont run at all it just is a huge reccomendation for hardware

last time i checked cpu requirment was 400 mhz
    and ram requirment was 128megs

the reccomended is 1ghz processor
    256 megs of ram

i think you might get some improvement if you can up your ram and stripped down some features like the prettyness of the green and blue and go to the standard grey bar of the old windows. there are more items you cando to slimdown windows but i dont have lists right now

3. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

i don't see a anti-virus software in your list, did you try that?

Here's a thought as hard drives pass a certain capacity they slow down, it's a fact. What percent of the hard drive are you using? when you're up in the 80% range it is a lot slower than a 30-40%. i thought you needed 256mb of RAM for XP, it's a memory hog.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree you need more ram, however to answer your question you must boot with the xp cd. You cannot just put the cd in under windows and do a repair. This is because the disk you have is older than sp2. Once you boot with the xp cd and do the repair, you must reapply sp2, all critical updates, and any other hot fixes.

Put the xp cd in the cd drive. Restart the system and enter the bios; make sure the cd is set as the first boot device. Save settings and exit. You should receive a message " To boot from cd press any key" do so.

Choose install from the first menu NOT repair. The next menu will show any previous installs and give you the option to repair them. Let setup do the repair.

5. deeceedee

deeceedee Thread Starter

Thanks Gurus ,
    To buddhafabio : Advice accepted. Would appreciate your guidance for resorting to the old grey Windows bar and any other slimdown tips that may help.

To [email protected] : I did list Avast as the AV that I also ran.

To crjdriver : Sorry, but I forgot to mention that one of the symptoms is that on trying to open " My computer" , it sometimes hangs with a blank screen , and on trying to close I get the message that " the program is not responding "...whereas I then have to ctrl / alt / delete in order to close the window. I don't know if this will throw a different light on things , but in your opinion , would a repair also help ?

Regards

Deeceedee

6. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

lol i missed avast, sorry

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The repair install may or may not help. Doing a repair will save you from having to reinstall all of your apps, drivers, etc.

The only way to tell for sure is to do it and see if the repair fixes your problems. You might want to slipstream sp2 into your xp disk. That way it saves you from having to apply so many updates, hot fixes, etc. Slipstreaming is pretty easy to do if you use one of the third party apps like nlite or autostreamer. It is a little more difficult to do from a cmd prompt.

8. deeceedee

deeceedee Thread Starter

Is it advisable to turn off AV before attempting the repair ?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is not a bad idea, however you will be booting with the cd. The AV will not load until the os is loaded so it will not be running while you do the repair.

10. deeceedee

deeceedee Thread Starter

Nlite advises that I should have .NET Framework . How do I ascertain that I do ?

11. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

it is a update download from microsoft. it can be just downloaded like updates are under the start menu. sorry it took so long to reply here is a link.

i dont have performance issues with windows xp so i dont know the exact process to slim down xps resource hogging but if i were wanting to do it i would use the following link

http://www.tweakxp.com/performance_tweaks.aspx i suggest doing only the ones you are comfortable with. i would answer more right now but i am 2hrs and 20 minutes past my bed time

12. Bdweller

Bdweller

You can also run system file check utility. The command is "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. Keep in mind if you reintall Windows it won't know about all of the software that is already on the system. Some wouild have to be reinstalled so as to write their info to the registry. At least that's what happened to me when I did it.

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Actually the "RECOMMANDED" minimum requirements are a 300 Mghz processor, The minimum required is 233 Mghz. 128Mb Ram minimum recomended with a 64Mb minimum supported and 1.5 Gb free disc space. I am running XP home on an older compaq presario with a 300 Mhz processor and 96Mb ram and a 4 Gb Hdd. Is it slow? You betcha. Does it lock up? Occasionally! But it does work for simple IM's and word processing.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice