1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Repairing windows on a RAID1 array

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by captainpie, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainpie

captainpie Thread Starter

Hi all,

I've got a bit of a problem, the computer in question is a Dell Dimension 9150 (Pentium D, 2GB RAM) running Windows XP Pro. When it was bought they opted for a RAID1 Mirrored disk array in it, so there are 2 160GB drives in there both holding the data fine (apparently :s). A windows update was done on it the other day, I don't know if it was XPSP3 or one of the more recent smaller updates, they didnt check before doing it!! but since doing that the computer is just blue screening on startup with either a 0x7e or 0xfc stop codes. When I tried chkdsk on it, it didnt even start the scan, just pops up straight away with "volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems", which leaves me thikning that the only way past this is a reinstall of the OS.

I have removed one of the mirrored drives so we can access the data from the fresh installation and will put in another 160gb drive. The only problem here is that its a later model, same brand though (seagate).

I am just wondering if there is A) an easier way of doing this, maybe without reinstalling windows, and B) whether having 2 different hard drives will affect the RAID at all?

cheers

2. captainpie

captainpie Thread Starter

Sorry forgot to say that the disks were checked through by a Dell Diagnostics CD and checked by seatools, both came back with the disks working fine

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice