1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Repairing XP help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TriFox, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TriFox

TriFox Thread Starter

Hi there. I have a but of an unusual problem and perhaps this belongs in the hardware section.

Anyhow, after been away for a few days I turn on my computer and it tells me that I need to repair my XP since there is something wrong with the /system32 folder or whatnot.

I have the CD to repair, however my keyboard is a USB type and deactivates after the initial boot window, not allowing me to proceed from the "Hit any key to boot from CD device....".

I'm wondering if there is any solution to this short of going out and buying a keyboard that uses a standard keyboard connection.

2. Sponsor

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Please post the exact message you are getting.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Probably not. You'll need to get or borrow the regular keyboard.

Do you know trhe exact mjessage? If it involved the system hive, repair will not be an option and yoiu will lose everything if you install a fresh copy of XP.

But that depends on the exact error.

5. TriFox

TriFox Thread Starter

Code:
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or currupt:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original setup CD-ROM.  Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
    Is what I got. And I can't even see if repairing will do anything since my keyboard won't accept input...

If there is no trick anyone knows I'll probably just use Ubunto until I get a new PC. Was thinking of getting something new soon anyhow.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/688912