1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Repeated blue screen of death after installing new graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aaron.trout, Dec 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aaron.trout

aaron.trout Thread Starter

For christmas this year i recieved a brand new ATI Radeon X1300 PRO, which i have just installed in my pc. It installed ok, and then i restarted the computer, and now every time i logon, and the ATI Catlyst program activates (makes the screen refresh) i get a blue screen of death stating that the file 'system32k.sys' has caused the problem.

I used to have a very similar problem when i used my onboard graphics before christmas, but this happened when i tried to play any games which use Direct x, and it would say that my graphics had 0MB memory, when it actually had 64MB.

Has anyone got any ideas???

Thanks
    Aaron Trout

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would bet either you have the wrong driver or the card is defective. I would boot into safe mode and uninstall the old driver and install again.

3. aaron.trout

I have already tried re-installing the drivers, and i still get the same problem of any direct x stuff making my pc get a BSOD! Also, im not sure its the card either, because its brand new, and i had the same problem with my on board graphics.

4. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Hi there,

Can we please have some more details on the computer? Namely - the motherboard or reference number of the Medion PC (which are bulit on a shoestring budget)?

Thanks

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Starting to sound like ram issues which you could test with memtest (www.memtest.com), or motherboard....have you reformatted and installed Windows clean at all since this has been happening?

6. aaron.trout

I have tested the memory, and everything is ok there. Also my bios tests the memory 3 times every startup, and never finds anything wrong. i havent reinstalled windows since i have installed the new graphics card, but i did a couple times when i was using the on board graphics, and the problem still occured.

I think that it may just be that its a crappy motherboard, so it looks like i will probably have to get a new one. Does anyone know any good boards that are definately compatible with the RADEON X1300 PRO and take a Pentium D with onboard SATA? I read somewhere on this forum that Asus boards are good, so i will take a look at there site in the meantime.

The ref no. of the pc is: MED MT41000 and serial no. : 16223040020205

Thanks for the help guys!

7. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

"system32k.sys" or "win32k.sys"?

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Not really sure about the brand as we don't have them here that I have seen, but most brand names make it extremely difficult to replace a motherboard with any other brand and if you have a restore disk and not a full Windows copy, that won't work with a new board anyway so you wind up buying new XP copy.
    You would be better off planning new case and saving what you can from this pc...I would bet it is a crapo mobo and any board should work with that card. Have you tried updating the bios or at least seeing if there are any updates for the bios as they mention the issues updates address normally. Are there any other hardware devices with issues i.e. cd drive?
    Could be something plugged in the OS doesn't like...also bios test for ram is meaningless for compatibility if you have not done memtest or similar, you would not really know.

9. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Does it start-up in safe mode ok? It does sound like a windows error not hardware. Pesky Catalyst! Try running it on the generic Windows driver.

10. aaron.trout

I have a win xp cd and a restore cd that they gave me, so i can use that when i get a new mobo.

So the conclusion is that i will need a new mobo + case if the bios update dont work.

Thanks for your help Rich-M

11. aaron.trout

Yes it does start in safe mode ok. i will try running on the windows driver.

12. ke200

ke200

I just got an x1650, and got one BSOD. The problem was my old 9600SE had the old data on there, so I removed all drivers, reinstalled, and now it plays like a dream :D

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

ke200 has a good point except onboard video is shut off so I don't see what uninstalling the driver would do...I could see uninstalling the ATi driver and finding an older one perhaps as new ATi catalyst drivers al;ways seem to be a pain. if you uninstalled the ATi driver and then went to Windows Update site and did drivers, you would certainly find an older driver.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/529687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice