1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Repeated Crashing on XP laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by *Asterisk*, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. *Asterisk*

*Asterisk* Thread Starter

Recently my computer has started crashing for no apparent reason. Several different things can happen but often it flashes to a blue screen with an error message before shutting off. Sometimes when I turn it on it tries to search for uh... forgot what. I'll pay better attention next time it happens.

Usually all the problems go away after I restart the computer but inevitably things start going wrong again. Java programs crash inexplicably leaving the following error report saved on my desktop

#
    # An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
    #
    # EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x0c48a5e5, pid=2728, tid=3288
    #
    # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (10.0-b23 mixed mode, sharing windows-x86)
    # Problematic frame:
    # C 0x0c48a5e5
    #
    # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
    # http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp

That's a small part of it.

Other programs will crash and won't reopen until I restart my computer. In particular Ie will crash often and won't open again.

Thanks

2. speed_hog

speed_hog

I would start by uninstalling java all of them if you have more than one in add & remove programs and then restart and get the latest one from java.com
    *then I would run chkdsk;
    Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer;
    Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
    Click Properties, and then click Tools.
    Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
    To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
    Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
    The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
    Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

then I would read these and ask any questions you may have and go from there;
    How does System restore work
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx
    Windows XP Recovery Console
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
    How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

3. *Asterisk*

Thanks I'll try that.

I did try a syste restore to a point about 2 weeks ago when this wasn't an issue.

It seems like it will occasinally run CHKDSK on it's own when I start it up after a crash.
    it says it's "Checking for file system on C:" claiming that "the disk needs tobe checked for consistancy".

4. *Asterisk*

I ran CHKDSK again, this time it checked some more stuff on drive C
    It also said "removing corrupt index $I3 in file 101815"
    then "correcting a minor error in 101815" and finally "inserting data attribute into file 101815"

The same stuff is still happening though...

What would be the next step?

5. speed_hog

speed_hog

What kind of disc's do you have?
    XP install disc?
    Recovery or Restore Disc?
    A Recovery Partition maybe?
    *do you have a backup of all your personal files to another disc or USB drive?

6. *Asterisk*

I'm in college and I don't have the XP install disk with me
    don't have a recovery or restore disk (I'm pretty sure)

Whats a recovery partition?

No backup either.
    Is this serious enough to think about looking into whether or not the warranty has expired?

7. speed_hog

speed_hog

The best thing to do is restore it back to the way it was when you bought it.
    But if you don't have the disc you may not be able to do that.
    A system crash or BSOD as we sometimes call them is usually a corrupt hardware driver and it can be very challenging to figure it out hence why the 45 minute recovery process is so handy, zip zoom bang and your done and back to the way it was originally.
    can you tell me what the different drives say in "my computer"
    or do a screen shot and upload it to imageshack.com
    I can do a screen shot faster than I can try and describe something accurately so here is what my drive looks like;
    http://img74.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mycomputerssfr3.png
    I obviously don't have the recovery partition I was talking about as I use cloning software and save my image to another slave hard drive and that way it can't get worn out or become corrupt from running all the time :)

8. *Asterisk*

Drive C: Local Disk
    Drive D: DVD RAM Drive
    Drive E: DVD Drive
    And a USB Camera drive (Internal)

So, If I were to transfer all the stuff I cared about to a USB Drive or External Harddrive, I could reset everything and the problem would presumably go away?

9. speed_hog

speed_hog

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/749724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice