1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Repeated CRC errors and "corrupted source"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kya2011, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kya2011

kya2011 Thread Starter

I have recently purchased a custom made desktop PC. After a few "blue screen of death" errors, i decided to format my Windows OS because of the repeated instability aswell as the CRC errors. The CD drive could not read any of my OS CD's apart from my Windows XP CD so i decided to install that instead.

Now i experienced the same instability on this format too, and i also noticed that everytime i tried to install a game a Cyclic Redundancy check error kept popping up even after installing a fresh OS. So naturally i assumed my HD had been fried by the crashes and got it replaced.

I just recieved it today and the CRC errors persist despite having replaced my hard drive. I figured that my CD drive was the problem only i think the issue goes deeper than that.

I am completely unable to install mounted iso files that i have downloaded. I recieve pretty much the same message: "the source or medium is corrupt" each time. I have checked for loose cables and they seem to be in pretty tight, so if it is a hardware problem, i am completely baffled as to why i cant even mount iso files.

Please help!

Kaya

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000430.htm

This site states among other things that CRC error can occur for many reasons; hard drive error is only one of them (number 3).
    1.During the transmission of the file it became corrupt or bad
    2.The file was sent inappropriately
    3.The device being opened from is bad or contains errors
    4.The file itself is bad or the program attempting to open the file is bad.

Seems like to me you have bad (corrupted) files.

3. kya2011

kya2011 Thread Starter

Im afraid thats not the case! All previously working CD's and ISO files only stopped working recently, yet they install fine on other computers.

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Have you tried a different emulator/mounting program on the computer they don't work on? I don't know what could be stopping both physical and emulation at the same time unless it is a combination of a problem with the CD drive and a seperate emulation problem.

Re-reading, seems like the CD drive isn't working correctly for most discs so you may want to try replacing it with a good cheap multi drive from Newegg or some such.

5. kya2011

kya2011 Thread Starter

Im clueless to be honest. I doubt a hardware problem would also stop emulation.

6. rickmamo

rickmamo

Just brainstoming here but...

Sounds like it could be a LBA (large block access) issue, change that setting in bios and try it...can always change it back....also might be worth testing UMDA and DMA settings in there as well....otherwise I'd try updating the hard drive controller drivers from mobo manufacturer or even flash the BIOS if there is an update avail. failing that i'd try disabling stuff like drives and controllers and/or additional cards/memory sticks/etc.. and remove them from the equation entirely, if prob goes away... add them back one by one

Also before you start, Replace the controller cables it's cheap and could be an issue as well...see if you are using 40 pin or 80 pin ide ribbon cable on drives...the 80's look much thiner and are required for newer drives and if a homie tech built it he may have used some old cables he had laying around instead of the ones that came with the mobo which might work sometimes or with older equip but not newer equip...but newer will usually work with the older.

Lastly you could also try the secondary controller or an external drive as an alternate test

7. kya2011

kya2011 Thread Starter

Thankyou rick.

I just sent it back to my technician and he used an external CD driver to test my game installs. Turns out the CRC error is still popping up, so does that outrule a hardware problem?

He thinks i missed out a driver when i reinstalled the OS that might be affecting the way the CD's are read and handled. I'll keep you guys posted so at least anybody else experiencing this problem in the future can google search this thread and hopefully find the answers their looking for. There isnt a great wealth of information on how to fix CRC errors out there. Seems like they can be caused by a large number of things.

Kya

8. kya2011

kya2011 Thread Starter

Ok guys!

So in the event that you have tried everything - from mounting iso's to using various CD's and external CD/DVD readers - then the problem is likely to run down to one simple thing. A RAM hardware malfunction. After replacing the RAM the problems went away. If you find your problems still persisting then try the motherboard as a last option.

Thanks for your help guys.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice