1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Repeated Explorer Crashing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sdfadsafdsxz, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdfadsafdsxz

sdfadsafdsxz Thread Starter

I've been running XP Pro for sometime on a homebuilt computer now and woke the computer off standby to find everything unresponsive (just saw my frozen destop). I rebooted and now my harddrive light stays on all the time (even when hard drive isn't reading/writing). Even whenever I boot the light stays on.

XP goes to login and startup but before I get past the welcome screen, it reboots.

I have an identical backup harddrive which I make images (with Norton Ghost) from time to time and have been using an image from a few weeks ago (should have been doing the backup weekly, eh?). I'm able to use this drive but the HDD light is still on and I get a Windows Explorer error every three minutes:

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: crtdll.dll
    ModVer: 4.0.1183.1 Offset: 000115ce

What's up here???? Checked the hard drives with Norton for physical errors, every sector is fine. Am checking for virus but the HDD light says otherwise. Methinks the motherboard has suffered a minor catastrophe (oxymoron) and now things are going haywire. Can still run things - I just put the error window off to the side - so I don't think the memory is physically damaged.

Any ideas????

2. sdfadsafdsxz

sdfadsafdsxz Thread Starter

3. x_theory

x_theory

Go to Start -> Run -> type sfc /scannow

This will run System File Checker. It may ask you for your XP CD to reinstall any corrupted or missing system files that could be causing the problem. You might also want to check for any motherboard BIOS or hard drive firmware/driver updates, too. Let us know if it works.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/226345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice