1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Repeater bandwidth speed.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bozee89, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bozee89

bozee89 Thread Starter

I do know that repeaters cut the speed since its half duplex and recently I bought belkin range extender and I was surprised that it didn't cut my speed... I though it might be because belkin have two wireless chips one for receiving and another for sending... is this possible?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

This may help you understand, but unless your BB connection is over 20 Mbps, using a repeater should make little or no difference in internet speed tests.

Speed tests measure how fast data is transferred from a server to your PC (down speed), then how fast it is transferred back to the server (up speed). In most cases the limiting factor is the speed caps your ISP imposes.

Full Duplex - information is transmitted and received over two differnet paths at the same time. For example Ethernet has two wires (leads 1 and 2) that carry information from router to the PC and two wires (leads 3 and 6) that carry information from the PC to the router at the same time.

Half Duplex - information is alternately sent and received over the same path. Data transfer rate is about half of a full duplex connection.
    WiFi is half duplex because information is alternately sent and received on the same channel.

Repeaters cause about a half speed reduction because they receive a transmission that is stored in memory, then rebroadcast using the same equipment.

For "G" wireless

Router to PC - 54Mbps

Router to repeater 54 Mbps. repeater to PC 54 Mbps.
    The effective speed between the router and the PC is 27 Mbps because of the repeater.

3. bozee89

bozee89 Thread Starter

This means my internet speed will not be cut instead my router speed will be cut?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084397

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice