Repeater connects but no Internet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Grlong

I have flashed firmward from dd-wrt to an old router to make it become a wireless repeater. After flashing the old router and following the recommended setup I am able to connect the repeater to the network but cannot access the internet. I have double checked the setup inst. My devices will recognize the presence of the repeater but are not able to access the internet either via the wireless or ethernet. Below is some info that you might find helpful to help me.

Primary router: Cisco Linksys E3000 dual band
IP: 192.168.1.1
SSId: GRLNET5
SSId: GRLNET2.4
Security Mode:WaP2 Personal:
SPI Firewall protection in enabled

Repeater Router: Linksys WRT54G 1.1
IP: 192.168.1.2
SSId: GRLNET5Repeater
Security Mode: WaP2 Personal (same passcode as Primary Router)
SPI firewall: disabled

Any suggestion you can give me would be greatly appreciated

etaf

Wayne
have you tried removing the wireless security and see if it will work like that as a test
and then try WPA security rather than WPA2

Grlong

will I need to remove WAP2 security from both the primary and repeater?

Grlong

Removed security from both routers, with no success. Do I need to power down the routers before trying or will "save settings" do the job?. Also the primary router is a dual band router, while the older (repeater) is not. does that create a problem?

etaf

Wayne
while the older (repeater) is not. does that create a problem?
i would make sure the main router is broadcasting 2.4ghz and not wide 40mhz - change to 20mhz - same on the repeater - may have advanced settings - so once you select the main router signal - may have advanced settings to set to 20mhz band
otherwise no

always worth doing a complete powercycle
------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to power cycle

“power cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router
  • Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
  • Wait at least 1 to 5 minutes,
  • Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch them on.
  • First turn on the modem and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
  • Next switch on the router (if a separate device) and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
  • Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

the ssid needs to be the same on both then the repeater virtual interface ssid needs to be different.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts