Repeater for Wifi IP cameras to Router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Birdman1951

Amcrest 2.4 mhz Wi-Fi IP cameras - 2
Netgear wnr 2000 v5 Wi-Fi router
Intel quad core desktop/Win XP pro sp3
Amcrest Surveillance Pro software

I have 2 cameras mounted outdoors and connected wirelessly to my wireless router. Because of obstructions (brick walls), I'm having trouble getting video signals without significant latency issues. Additionally, I am having trouble connecting to the cameras through the software to make changes in configuration.

I thought my router had a repeater function, but it does not. I was about to purchase a Netgear extender that is advertised as having a repeater function, but apparently it does not.

I cannot move my "main router" because I cannot relocate my internet connection/modem.

I "think" my only option is to locate a repeater at a midpoint between the cameras and the existing router, thereby creating a stronger signal to the main router.

My questions:
1. By utilizing a repeater, will I eliminate my latency issue.
2. Improve connectivity between software/cameras.

I'm having trouble finding a Netgear Wi-Fi router that has a repeater function at a reasonable price. Can you recommend an affordable router with repeater function or a standalone repeater.

Sorry for the long post...I've been fighting this issue for weeks.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
How are you getting power to these cameras mounted outdoors?

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Is there a reason why you're not running Ethernet cables to the cameras?

Birdman1951

Cathedral ceilings in room that has internet/modem/router. Believe me, if I could, I would. I wanted to run a new internet access line but the cable/internet installers refused to drill through the exterior brick wall...both crews that I requested from the company.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I can't picture your situation so I'll just have to take your word for it. As someone who has been in the networking field for quite some time, there hasn't been a situation where a cable couldn't be installed. The only time I've run into a situation where there were restrictions was when the building in question is a historical building.

Installers from the cable company will only do the absolute minimum. Most of them are either not equipped or don't have the experience to handle more than a basic install. And that's what the cable company wants to limit its liability. Just because the cable company won't do it doesn't mean it can't be done. You just have to hire a company that actually does data cabling installs. You'll pay for it but you'll get what you want.

The reason why I ask about wiring the cameras is because it's really the best way. Using a repeater for a wireless camera system is just asking for more problems. Especially if you're streaming high def video. I have a security camera I used as a baby cam over wireless. While I have a business class wireless network with no repeater being used, I ran into occasional random streaming problems. Using a repeater would be the last thing I would ever try. If you have the money, I would use a point to point wireless bridge/mesh system. It will consist of 2 access points. One access point will be the wireless relay where the cameras will connect to. This access point will provide connectivity over 2.4GHz. The back haul/data comms will be between this access point and the other which is your wired gateway over 5GHz wireless. The wired gateway access point will just plug into your wireless router. This system to me is the best one for your situation if you're not going to or able to run Ethernet cables to the cameras.

Birdman1951

You lost me at "the back haul/data coms".

The way I understand it is the cams will connect to the first AP via 2.4 ghz. Does the first AP connect to the second AP wirelessly, then plug into my wireless router. (the router is 2.4 ghz and is connected to the internet modem) The wireless router connects to my desktop computer at 2.4 ghz.

Last edited:

Birdman1951

One other thing...I COULD wire the cams to first AP. I have attic access in that area. It's the last "run" to the second AP that I have a problem with....that's the area that has a cathedral ceiling, so I can't hard wire from the second AP to the wireless router.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You lost me at "the back haul/data coms".

The way I understand it is the cams will connect to the first AP via 2.4 ghz. Does the first AP connect to the second AP wirelessly, then plug into my wireless router. (the router is 2.4 ghz and is connected to the internet modem) The wireless router connects to my desktop computer at 2.4 ghz.
Yes. The way the system I'm talking about works is this:

IP camera<----2.4 GHz wireless---->AP<-----5 GHz wireless---->AP<-----Ethernet----->router

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
One other thing...I COULD wire the cams to first AP. I have attic access in that area. It's the last "run" to the second AP that I have a problem with....that's the area that has a cathedral ceiling, so I can't hard wire from the second AP to the wireless router.
This is also possible. The manufacturer I have experience with has APs with built in Ethernet ports which can be used in this fashion where the remote end is wired to the AP and then the AP connects wirelessly to another AP to establish network connectivity. Some hospitals use this technique to install network connectivity without spending the money and labor to pull cabling to each and every location they want connectivity.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online