1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Repeater / hub question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by firstc520, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. firstc520

firstc520 Thread Starter

Ok i need to know if this is the same thing.m

is a repeater the same thing as a hub?

I am wanting to connect my pcs via home network, (win 98 & win 98 se) and i have a "mini 10BASE-T Repeater.....can iuse that for the hub, or do i have to get an actual piece of equipment that is a hub or router?

Thanks.....if this is something i can use, how would i config it?

"Lantronix LMR8TA Mini- 10BASE-T Repeater" is what is on the unit.

I already googled it and got someinfo that i wanted.... I have the insallation guide, but it is kinda shallow on details. (what line i would connect to for the host file, and what is used for outgoing.......it has a few charts that i am not sure what they mean

Thanks again

2. coulterp

coulterp

The repeater is similar to the hub, except that has the capability built-in that allows it to be used over a greater (cable) distance than a straight-forward hub.

If you are just wanting to connect the two PCs you can use the repeater (effectively as a hub) to just link up your PCs. You would just use it as any ordinary hub using straight-through Ethernet cabling between a port on the hub and each PC.

If you are wanting to extend you network to use the Internet you would be well advised to get a router instead (which in most instances will have a 1-port or 4-port switch built-in). If you got the 1-port variety you could daisy-chain the repeater/hub to the router to expand the number of PCs you could have on your network. But it would be easier just to get the 4-port variety (and they'll all be 10/100 Ethernet anyway, so immediately your LAN is running faster than the 10 Mbps limit of your Lantronix, provided, or course, the NICs in your PCs are 10/100 NICs).

3. firstc520

firstc520 Thread Starter

ok...thanks for your answer.

Yes the nic are both 10/100

so a router would be the way to go....

i take it the lantronix has the 10mb....which leads to next question....since i am on dailup would 10mb be enough?

Thnks

4. coulterp

coulterp

Yes. The 10Mbps is only going to affect the speeds you can achieve on your local network. The speed of your NICs/router/hubs are not going to change your internet access speeds; once your network traffic hits the internet connection they are limited to whatever that is (dial-up (56k?) or even broadband (512k, 1M or 2M). So as far as your dial-up is concerned 10 Mbps is heaps of overkill! :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/205466

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice