Repeater or Hub????????

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

btdt38

My son gave me a COMPEX MicroHub 10/100 Duel Speed RX2208 8 port Stackable Repeater with NO instructions. I'm using a DSL Modem and have Ethernet cards in all 3 computers. I would like to be able to access the Internet from all 3 computers. At this time I really don't have to have them Networked. There is a switch on the back that says 1 and 2. Also another switch on the side that says uplink and normal. My question is how do I hook everything up and where do I set the switches? Where do I plug everything in? Do I need a cross over cable? Can I do this without having to set up a Network. I've never done any Networking before, and my son lives 6 hours away. He tells me he can't to it over VNC. I hope it's just a matter of pluging them in correctly and it done, but something tells me there is more to it.

The following is from a post by Toddles18, it explains the hub well. You will have to set up a network in order to get things to work. I would suggest a router insted of a hub.

"I think my cisco teacher said it best when she said "Hubs are dumb, switches are smarter and routers are smarter yet." Hubs do not route traffic in anyway, all they do is repeat the signal, basically they're just a multiport repeater. Switches can do limited routing based on MAC address, these are the physical address ever Network Interface Card has, Router's are better yet. I'd say go with one of those cheap O dsl/cable routers, they make it really easy to share broadband and are more capable then a hub."

Good Luck

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online