1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Repeater to Router via Ethernet cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by allprograms24, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. allprograms24

allprograms24 Thread Starter

I live in an apartment on the 2nd floor. The Router is on the 1st floor. So the WIFI signal is really low therefor its barely usable. The landlord gave me a WIFI Repeater to extend the connection/signal. But I cant place the repeater closer to my room because it needs to reach the router’s WIFI signal to be able to repeat it. Because of that it didn’t make much of a difference. So I have an old router and I tried connecting the router to the repeater using the Router to Router method via Ethernet cable. It worked for some time and then an error would pop up DNS cannot be found. Rebooting the old router helps but it’s not a permanent fix, because after awhile the error shows up again. At this point I tried twitching with the settings but no success. I tried searching to find a solution and I asked on some known tech forums as well but again I found nothing. Now I’m thinking of using a network switch to be able to have a LAN connection on my laptop and computer, because the repeater only has one LAN port. So will it work if I'll connect the repeater to a network switch via Ethernet cable? If it would, can I connect the switch to the old router via Ethernet cable?

I want to say thank you in Advance!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the WIFI Repeater also works as a Wireless Bridge then, yes, it can be used to "extend" the wireless network to an ethernet segment.

3. allprograms24

Thanks for the answer! But I don't know if it can work as a Wireless Bridge. All I know is that it has 1 LAN port. Here is the link for you to know what kind of repeater it is and maybe you can tell me more: http://www.jensenofscandinavia.com/downloads/airlink-2400ac/

Thanks again! Deeply appreciated!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Client mode is another term for Wireless Bridge, and page 9 of the English manual describes how to configure that device in client mode. So, in that mode you can connect anything ethernet, including a switch or router.

5. allprograms24

Thank you so much! I shall try that out.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

7. allprograms24

Hi! I did what you said. Repeater is on client mode. Old router is connected to it via Ethernet cable. I disabled the DHCP of the old router and change the last number of its IP. It is working fine at the moment. I'll keep it on and see if the DNS error would come up again. Thank you again!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1186890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice