1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replace a battery on an old computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aristo, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aristo

Aristo Thread Starter

Hello,
    I am trying to review some information that is on 3 1/2" diskettes. (Pertinent to parents' estate, etc.)
    My old PC worked fine for this; however, now it is saying I need to replace a battery.
    I don't think it is as easy as replacing one of those small flat batteries. This looks more complicated; likely because it is quite old. However, it has worked so well up to now. We will be recycling in the near future also. Here are some pictures of the inside.
    I know this is an old PC but I just want to review the rest of the diskettes. Thank you in advance for any help with this.

Attached Files:

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

What's the make & model of this PC, and how old is it roughly? I couldn't see a CMOS battery on there; however, there's a good chance it was merely obscured by the camera angles. One alternative you might want to look at is purchasing a USB floppy drive.

3. Aristo

Aristo Thread Starter

Hi, Here is the make and model: NEC Ready 9532
    I would say it is 20 years old.
    This tower style has a floppy drive in it, and it has been working well.
    It's just that now when I turn on, it is saying that a battery is needed.
    That may be for the time, right? This needs to be correct for rest to work?

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

It's partially true, since it's still used for keeping track of time in newer systems, while other settings are stored in firmware. However, in older PCs like this one, it helped retain the BIOS settings. How many floppy disks do you have to look through on this? It's possible you could get away with configuring the BIOS settings each time you power up, forget about the system clock, and then use the PC for just long enough to retrieve data from the floppies.

5. Aristo

Aristo Thread Starter

I have about 50.
    I like that idea about the BIOS settings.
    Can you tell me how to do this? Thank you for this advice.

6. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

As long as it still boots to the OS, perhaps you can ignore the BIOS setup and go through each of the 50 disks, taking what you need from them and saving them on the HDD. Which OS is it running?

If you have to power off for any reason, or it won't POST properly, have a look here at the manual for the Phoenix BIOS. You may be able to get away with hitting F9 to load the defaults and then hitting F10 to save and exit (see Page 3 of the manual), but this is going to be trial and error.

7. Aristo

Aristo Thread Starter

I believe this is windows95.

8. Aristo

Aristo Thread Starter

I will check this manual and try your suggestions. Thank you!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218274

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice