1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replace Celeron 500Mhz With PIII 1Ghz?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Josh8178, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Josh8178

Josh8178 Thread Starter

I have an old 1999 Packard Bell Club 75 desktop, it is equipped with a Intel Celeron "Mendocino" Socket 370 PPGA 500Mhz processor, the thing is i came across an old Pentium 3 1ghz processor the other day and was wondering if i could install it into the packard? I found out that the bios was made in 10.08.99 and is AMI 1.1V EASY SETUP V1.17 (or something), The packard site does not give an update, but if you know where i could find one that would be great, then i might be able to install XP and some more RAM!

Any help would be greatly apreciated, Josh.:)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Even on a 1Ghz processor XP will run slow. Then again the PB you have may not be able to support the 1Ghz processor youu have, there's more then one version of the PIII 1.0Ghz. Some have a 100Mhz FSB while others have a 133Mhz FSB.

You'd need to figure out which motherbaord you need: http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=platform_symphonyclub&g=1400
    Then choose the right BIOS: http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=platform_symphonyclub&t=2006

Its not a computer I'd want to use daily and definitely not worth putting money into.

3. Mulderator

Mulderator

Its not a computer I'd want to use daily and definitely not worth putting money into.[/QUOTE]

I agree--if you already have a processor and its just a matter of throwing a new one in for no extra cost, fine. Its also a good unit to experiment on if you've never changed a processor. You may need another heatsink of the new processor you have doesn't already have one.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

The odds are if it's a socket 370, the 1 gig will work and agin if there is no or limited expense, i disagree with the other you will see a hefty difference between 500 meg celery and 1 gig P III. Add some ram and go for XP and you might see some difference. Sometimes our gurus go a little far because for the average user a 1 gig pc with 512 ram, is fine to read email and write an occasional Word document.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Oh, he'll definitely see a difference but it still won't make it a fast computer - there's only so much a Pentium III 1GHz processor can do.

6. accat13

accat13

Hmmm not really to sure if this would work there are a few variants of the p3 (coppermine,tulatin)..I seem to remember a problem with different voltages and a possibility of burn out..Just using this list and and comparing the voltages of a 1gig tulatin and a 1 gig coppermine they are different compared to the 2.0 volt Mendocino chip...I stand to be corrected as I am not to sure about this....wiki list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Celeron_microprocessors#.22Mendocino.22_.28250_nm.29

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice