1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replace Centurylink Modem/Wifi

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lowteck, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lowteck

lowteck Thread Starter

Hi. In over my head (not hard to do in this area :confused:) I have Centurylink service and currently are renting their modem/wifi box. I want to replace it with my own modem and my Linksys EA4500 N900router. What do I need to buy to replace the modem so that it is compatible with Centurylink? and do I need to know the IP address currently associated with it to set up the new modem?
    Thanks!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to check either them to see if they allow that and what all you need to configure and let them know, they may not allow modems that aren't approved from them work or may charge you for modem rental anyways as it may be part of their service. You may also loose the ability for them them to provide you troubleshooting if they are unfamiliar with the units you choose. It appears they are a DSL provider and not Cable is that correct? For DSL you'd have to program the router with your DSL username and password to connect, so you'll need to know that. You shouldn't need to know any IP address for the modem as that's assigned by them but you will need to be able to access your router to configure it, so either it's IP address or use the CD Wizard to configure it.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You will also need to know the VPI & VCI settings that Centurylink uses. 0 & 32, and 8 & 35 are common. You should be able to get them from your existing modem config menus. Or if not, guessing works (one or the other will give you DSL connected light on the modem).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice