Replace corrupt system file from windows 7 recovery console

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mjacqu4

I am having issues booting my windows 7 (service pack 1) laptop and I have been online trying fixes for hours. Based on the evidence it seems I most likely have a corrupt ntdll.dll in my system32 folder. One forum I read said to get the file from a computer with the same installation of windows and replace it using the recovery console. I tried this, but I get the message:

"The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open."

I assume this means some process has the file open. If this is the case, is there any way I can close it to copy over the corrupt version?

(All my restore points failed, startup recovery failed, sfc said it fixed corrupt files, but issue persists, and diskcheck said no problems so I am really out of options)

thanks

We should be able to fix this, but first I need to see a report from the System File Checker and we can go from there, follow the instructions below to run the check and post the log produced.

System File Checker

• Click on Start and type cmd in the search box. Right click on cmd in the popup menu and select Run as Administrator.
  • Another box will open, at the Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter. (Note the gap between the c and the /)
  • Let the check run to completion. DO NOT reboot the PC or close the cmd window.
  • Copy & Paste the following command at the Command Prompt and press Enter:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

• This will place a file on your desktop called sfcdetails.txt which contains the results of the scan.
  • Copy and Paste the contents of the file into your next post.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online