1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replace existing HD with new one?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by geneisabell, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geneisabell

geneisabell Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension Desktop that became infected with a pretty nasty virus. I have had to remove the infected HD from the machine.

Instead of trashing the machine, I would like to just purchase an entirely new HD for this machine. I am guessing that when purchasing a new HD that it does NOT already come with an O/S already installed. If this guess is correct, my question is this:
    • Can I use the original O/S Reinstallation CD that came with the machine to get the O/S installed on the new HD?
    OR
    • Do I have to purchase the O/S along with the new internal HD?
    If more information is needed before an answer can be provided, please let me know what is needed.

I very much appreciate your time and thank you for any and all suggestions.

Gene

2. bbearren

bbearren

You can use your original O/S reinstallation CD to format the new HD and reinstall the O/S.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/858234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice