Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replace graphics card

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  goonerpav 
#1 ·
I am about to upgrade from Xp S/p 3 to Windows 7 and need to replace my Intel 82865G graphics card, but I don't know which one to go for. Any suggestions? My system details are :- 3.00 ghtz Intel P 4, Micro-Star Bus, clock 200Mghz. I am not a 'gamer' but use the for a cam-corder. Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
Can you post the exact model of your motherboard? The Intel graphics card you have is built onto the motherboard. You won't be able to remove it and put in a new one - but you will put in a new graphics card, effectively 'replacing' the card.

Please post the specs of your motherboard so we can be of further assistance.

#3 ·
Honestly I would say don't do it. The Intel 865 chipset is not officially support on Windows, nor may some of the other hardware you have. A Pentium 4 isn't the ideal CPU to be running Windows 7 on, and how much RAM do you have? You'll have better performance, especially in the long run if you stay with XP.

#4 ·
Thank you for the prompt replies. System Model is - MS-6743Ver1.1A. Main Circuit Board.Bus clock 200mghz.
BIOS Phoenix Tech 6.00 PG 09/17/2004. I have2552 Megabytes of installed memory. My system is pretty old and sluggish so I thought a fresh installation would be my best option.

#6 ·
If you're not gaming, I don't really see the necessity to purchase a new Vid Card, unless I'm missing something. As for the OS - stay with XP. If not, try Win 7 for a few days - see how you like it and how the machine performs, and if required, revert to XP.

Triple's right though - XP is your better bet in your hardware setup.

#7 ·
I ran 'Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor' which stated that my graphics card ''would not support the Windows Aero interface''. I am not sure that I would benefit from that anyway! Most of my other devices are compatible.
The consensus would appear to be - stick with XP but do a clean reinstall. Trouble is I have already purchased a copy of '7 ', and looking ahead, at sometime or other XP will be withdrawn. So do I take the plunge and replace the processor as well?
As pointed out 'its my call'. At the the moment I do not know the likely cost, and if I replace the processor (with what anyway?) what other things should I consider ? Computing for me is supposed a pastime, not a money drain.

#8 ·
Personally, I'd return or sell the Win7 upgrade. I don't think you'd be all that happy with the performance of your system after the upgrade, video issues aside. If your system does everything you want, keep it. Upgrading from XP to Win7 requires that you install a fresh copy of Windows and reload all your hardware to start. And trust me, you are going to have some surprises along the way no matter how well you plan for the upgrade.

These days, a copy of the upgrade version of Win7 plus a video card is getting mighty close to the price of a new computer with Win7 preinstalled, a bigger hard drive, faster CPU, more memory... Look, I bought my first computer nearly 30 years ago, and I can honestly say that I've never had a new operating system that was a life changing experience. Save the bucks now, buy a new machine when your system becomes inadequate for your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.