Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replace hard drive Dell 2305 All-in-one

6K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  Novictory 
#1 ·
I posted this issue a while back. My hard drive is indeed dead and I would like to install a new one. I do not have an installation disk as this system (as were many others) did not ship with one and I made recovery disks. So, since the recovery disks were for the OLD hard drive, I guess I need to purchase a windows 7 or 10 OS. Also, once installed what else do I need to do: download drivers, download windows updates? I know I have to install my programs but what else. I am an average user - can you recommend a size and type for me to purchase. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
you should be able to use the recovery Disks to put the Windows system back onto the PC
so it will be like having the PC when it was first purchased

so put the new harddrive in
put the 1st DVD from the recovery set
when the PC starts , loginto the bios , which should come up on the screen how to log into the setup/bios
make sure the DVD is the first in the boot order
OR
you may just see , press any key to boot from the DVD
then you follow the onscreen instructions to install the software

theres quite a few youtube videos that show you how to do this

What windows version came with the PC ?

#3 · (Edited)
You appear to have a Dell Inspiron One 2305
It has downloadable drivers only for Windows 7 64-bit and hasn't been tested for Windows 10.
What's the exact "service tag/serial" number and "express service code" number on yours?

It appears that model Dell originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional 64-bit.
If it becomes necessary and you live in the U.S.A., you should be able to purchase the recovery media disc kit for it from HERE.
Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue Slope

--------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
Thanks. It came with Win 7 Home Premium. 7x9psm1 is the service tag. I asked a guy with Geek Squad at Best Buy and he indicated I would have to purchase new o.s. Glad to hear that I can use the recovery disks. I would like to know what else I need to do after installing H.D. I currently use about one quarter of a 280 gb drive on my laptop which is about 5 yrs old. Don't need much more than that so shouldn't be too costly. Any other thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks to both for input.

#5 ·
once you have run the installation DVD and re-installed windows 7 onto the all-in-1
then - you will have a PC setup exactly as you first purchased
the recovery should include the drivers - but you may need to goto the dell site with the service tag number and download and install any drivers
NOW the issue will be that windows 7 , now requires 200 updates and this can take a couple

#6 ·
#8 · (Edited)
It came with Win 7 Home Premium. 7x9psm1 is the service tag.
HERE is the support site that's assigned only to your Dell Inspiron One 2305.
You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.
According to its original system configuration section, it shipped in January 2011 in the U.S.A. and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and came with these primary devices:
AMD M880G + SB820M chipset
ATI Radeon HD 4270 graphics
Realtek ALC272 high definition audio
Dell Wireless 1501 Half Mini-Card
Realtek RTL8111E gigabit ethernet
I reinstalled win7 on my laptop so know that update nightmare.
It's a bit time-consuming, but it's no longer a nightmare to install and update Windows 7.
If you read my Windows 7 install and update guide at the top of the "Windows 7" section, it'll give you step-by-step instructions on how to do it.
If you follow it correctly and get Windows Update to work properly, there should be 50 - 60 important/recommended updates to install afterwards.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#9 ·
Actually I do have that site bookmarked. I also have asked questions on the Dell forum. I have received pretty good advice there as well. I am told by one of the Dell superstars that I need a SATA 2 or 3. I looked at the drive I pulled from my system and it indicates that it is a Barracuda 7200.12 -- 1 TB. It just says it is a SATA -- no number. I will do a search for such and see what I can come up with. I was able to remove the drive without any major problem so hopefully I can replace it with a shiny new one as easily. I will check out your windows updates page. Thanks again.

#11 ·
I am thinking about a $22.00 used Dell drive on ebay. P/N ST31000528AS. This is the msg I sent to the seller. "I am replacing a Dell drive using the p/n number you are showing for this drive. I removed it from the pc -- I have the cage, housing or whatever that is called, the power and data cables. This "drive only" therefore should be fine. There are two numbers that differ and are as follows: 9SL154-516. Your number on this drive is: 9SL154-302. The last 3 digits differ - perhaps they are mfg dates but need to know before I bid. Thanks very much".

My question to you guys is about the last 2 numbers that I questioned. The seller did not have an answer. Does anyone on this site have any thoughts on this?

#12 ·
You're trying to find an identical replacement hard drive for that Dell, and that's not necessary to do.
As long as it's a 3.5" SATA 3 model, that's the main thing.

Buying a used hard drive on eBay for $22.00 is pretty much like throwing money away.
You have no idea what shape that hard drive is in and how long it's been used.
It may be "dead on arrival" or may fail within a short time after installing it.
Spend a bit more money and buy a new hard drive which has a warranty.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#13 ·
Toshiba 3.5-Inch 1TB 7200 RPM SATA3/SATA 6.0 GB/s 32MB Hard Drive DT01ACA100I
How about the Toshiba above? $48 on Amazon. Also, I have the data and power cables that I unplugged from and the enclosure it was in. Can I use the Toshiba with that situation? or any sata 3? I hear what you are saying. It's putting trust in the seller on Ebay which can be problematic. There is a money back guarantee. The reason I am going cheap is due to the fact that I am not comfortable doing this replacement. I have never done it so it's sort of a practice run. Of course if it doesn't work I won't know if it's due to DOA or my lack of expertise in replacing. I checked the question/answer section on Amazon and it answered the questions I asked you above so I think I can use the Toshiba. Thanks again for your input.

#14 ·
According to the on-line manual for that all-in-one, its back cover needs to be removed first before the hard drive can be removed.
Line Font Rectangle Parallel Slope
Rectangle Parallel Font Diagram Slope
Rectangle Font Parallel Gas Audio equipment

Removing and replacing a hard drive can be a quick and easy job, but installing the Windows operating system in it afterwards can be a difficult and time-consuming job.
It all depends on how confident and knowledgeable you are.

You didn't provide a webpage link to that hard drive on Amazon.
Is THIS the one you're referring to?

#15 ·
Unless I don't understand your statement regarding the back cover, I think it's pretty obvious that the back cover must be removed for hard drive replacement or any other stuff. I have done that which enabled me to look at what needed to be unplugged, lifted out etc. Also, I am not trying to find an EXACT replacement for Dell drive - I just wanted to make sure those last 3 digits didn't make it a different part. I reinstalled Win7 on my laptop a couple of years ago so know what a pain it can be. Thanks again.

#16 ·
All-in-ones and desktops and laptops have different methods for removing and replacing a hard drive.
I wasn't aware that you already know how to do it in your all-in-one, so I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence.

When you're ready to reinstall Windows 7 in the new hard drive in your all-in-one, the Windows 7 install and update guide in the "Windows 7" section that myself and askey127 created and which has been tested several times will be helpful to you.

#17 ·
I am getting ready to order the Toshiba that I mentioned earlier in this thread. The price is right, it is new and if I have difficulty and the thing just doesn't work for me, I can return it. The following is part of an answer to someone on Amazon asking about this Toshiba replacement drive: Also, if your Boot drive has failed do you have means of creating a new boot drive for your system??

Not sure if that applies to my case so thought I'd ask you. I think once it is in I just put my recovery disks in the dvd slot and play. I know I have to put the dvd drive in the first boot sequence. Anyway, any thoughts on my recent entry would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.