1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Replace hard drive with SSD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pennerigate, Aug 13, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. pennerigate

pennerigate Thread Starter

Hi there,

I'm turning to this great forum in the hope I can get valuable advice (greatly appreciated) about a recent hardware issue I have. My lenovo T430 laptop was taking an hour or longer to boot up, so much that I was scared to shut down. In the end, I ordered a windows 10 pro reinstall cd but at windows setup, I had the following error - "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The disk may fail soon. If other hard disks are available, install Windows to another location". I spoke to microsoft online support and they simply recommended a repair shop or replace the hard drive. When I asked about replacing with an SSD drive, the assistant agreed that was probably the best solution.

So my question (excuse it if it's a dumb one) is, can I simply open the back, take out the hard drive and put the SSD drive in? What I mean is, I don't have to keep the old hard drive as well as the SSD? I've copied all important files off the laptop and have the rest in online storage so I'm not worried about losing anything on the old hard drive. I just wondered if it was as easy as taking out the old one and putting in an SSD.

It might be the answer is simply 'yes' to that, in which case, great! Otherwise, if more technical work is required, then I will do so. There's loads of online videos showing how to install an SSD but I was worried that if I put it in then it doesn't work I'd be completely clueless.

Thanks
    Paul

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes you can swap the SSD for the HDD, then install Windows onto it.

3. pennerigate

pennerigate Thread Starter

Many thanks managed (y)

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice