1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replace Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by awoodman, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. awoodman

awoodman Thread Starter

I would like to replace my old 40 gb hard drive(Windows XP NTFS SATA) with a larger 250gb drive. What is the best program that will allow me to completely copy the old drive to the new one,and then have the old drive available for use as storage for pictures,back up files ,etc.?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you may want to use the 250GB as the data disc and leave the 40GB harddrive just for programs.
    You could also put the swap file onto the 250GB drive.

3. replay

replay

4. Tapeuup

Tapeuup

whatever brand the 250 gig is there is a utility from the manufacturer that will make an exact copy of your current primary HD and enable your new HD it to be your primary.

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You may also want to check if the manufacturer of the new drive includes that capability as part of the setup software that comes with the drive. Then check out on-line if people have problems with the software.

EDIT: Yep, like Tapeuup said.

6. awoodman

awoodman Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I checked the Western Digital site and they have a utility I can download to do a drive to drive copy, ( My drive was an OEM, and didnt include anything but thebare drive)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/454349

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice