1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replace Hibernate

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by urs, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. urs

urs Thread Starter

Hello
    I dont actually want to replace hibernate I just want an application which will save my session like hibernate just before shutdown.
    Now you will ask why not use hibernate only? Coz i want to cut the power supply to my comp and save a little bit of bucks.

Does anybody know of an application which can save session.

Thanks

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That is what hibernate is for.

3. urs

urs Thread Starter

oh u mean to say after i hibernate i can cut the power supply??
    hmm i dont remember the url but this page said that you shouldn't cut the power supply in hibernated mode. it even says that it uses a bit of electric power to keep the comp running.
    please make this confusion clear.

thanx

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

The level of power saving you are thinking of is StandBy. Hibernation involves copying the contents of memory to disk. The power can then be turned off. Be aware that this is really designed for Laptop machines and doesn't always work properly on desktop machines.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The amount of power used during hybernate by the typical desktop machine is about 5-6 watts. Things must be pretty tight there if that's a major issue.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!