Replace My Sling Box

neil154

Sling Box has announced that they are discontinuing all Sling Boxes within 2 years, so I am looking for a replacement. I have FIOS TV and probably would like to keep it. I want a Sling Box replacement that would allow me to watch my FIOS tv channels on my PC. Usually I watch it from home while using my laptop on wifi but sometimes I watch it over the internet when not at home.

Please give me suggestions of alternatives.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I'm in the same boat. This is why a hate cloud based products. Sling Box at its early inception did not use servers on the Internet to broker the communications. What is happening with Sling Box should be a warning to all those that have willingly accepted cloud based products. Because in an instant your investment can be rendered worthless if the manufacturer decides to drop the servers your product depends on.

I have searched around and have not found any alternative solution. There used to be other competitors under the category of placeshifting. From what I can tell those other products have gone out of business. It's interesting as I thought the underlying technology Sling uses was taken over by AT&T...specifically DirecTV. I wonder if anyone will create a "hack" to allow direct point to point communications to keep these products alive.

neil154

There is a product called HDHomeRun Prime which would substitute for the Sling box. The down side is that it needs a cablecard from your cable supplier. The product was discontinued but they are starting the manufacture of the product again.

Oddba11

Jim
I wouldn't jump in that boat either. While I have a HDHomeRun Prime, which has worked flawlessly for me, they are OOP. The replacement (a 6 or 8 tuner, I don't recall specifics) has been "coming soon" for over 2 years now. In addition, cable card support has always been hit or miss and the FCC mandate to ensure companies offered cable cards for competition, has ended.

Having said that, most all of the cloud based DVR solutions should work for your needs (assuming you want DVR type access). If you want streaming TV access, then get a digital streaming account. Or a combination of both. Unless you are getting a great deal on your TV service, pricing is typically comparable between most services.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I've been unable to figure out a way to stream DirecTV to any of my smart TVs. It appears I'll have to use the mobile app, stream content through it, and then miracast it to my TV. If this is the way to get my content, it's going to be a royal pain but at least I have an alternative.

What was nice with Slingbox was the fact there was an app for the Fire stick.

neil154

I wouldn't jump in that boat either. While I have a HDHomeRun Prime, which has worked flawlessly for me, they are OOP. The replacement (a 6 or 8 tuner, I don't recall specifics) has been "coming soon" for over 2 years now. In addition, cable card support has always been hit or miss and the FCC mandate to ensure companies offered cable cards for competition, has ended.

Having said that, most all of the cloud based DVR solutions should work for your needs (assuming you want DVR type access). If you want streaming TV access, then get a digital streaming account. Or a combination of both. Unless you are getting a great deal on your TV service, pricing is typically comparable between most services.
I don't dispute anything you said. I actually spoke to a rep at SiliconDust and he agreed that the product was discontinued but then he said they have actually started production of a new Prime unit. The new production will be probably be a one time run according to him.

My needs for watching thru my SlingBox are actually pretty limited since the great majority of the time I am using it in my house on my WIFI network. I have no need at all for DVR service. I don't really want to shift to another TV supplier at this point.

neil154

I've been unable to figure out a way to stream DirecTV to any of my smart TVs. It appears I'll have to use the mobile app, stream content through it, and then miracast it to my TV. If this is the way to get my content, it's going to be a royal pain but at least I have an alternative.

What was nice with Slingbox was the fact there was an app for the Fire stick.
Another method of getting DirectV on your smart TV would be to get the Directv on you PC and then use an HDMI connection between PC and TV

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Another method of getting DirectV on your smart TV would be to get the Directv on you PC and then use an HDMI connection between PC and TV
Going that route would be more cumbersome than doing it through my smart phone.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I thought DirecTV still used a box at each TV, same as with cable?
Yes they do. I have a vacation property which I've been using my Slingbox to still access my DirecTV service. Now that the plug is being pulled on Slingbox, I don't have an alternative to get full feature access. I did try the DirecTV app on my smart phone. While it's better than nothing, I don't have access to any of my DVR recordings. But at least the app provides live programming and I can mirror the content to my smart TVs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online