1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replace Old motherboard with new motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marksammut, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marksammut

Marksammut Thread Starter

Hey to all the people seeing this! First of all thanks for viewing this thread ^^

Right, You may have seen my posts about a faulty motherboard not giving video, If not then it doesn't matter to much because this is the story:
    I needed to replace a motherboard as the old one was bad.
    The New motherboard came, Still no Video, Dead motherboard
    Sending the faulty one back for a refund

NOW heres the dilemma:
    I can't find the motherboard again so I'm going to replace it with another ones (make/model not yet decided) But how do I go about installing the drivers for the new one? I've searched Google yet the only thing I could find is being able to boot up the computer to un=install the old ones? Is there anyway to do this without booting it up prior to installing the new MOBO? Many thanks, Mark ^^

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can't. In many cases the system will blue screen and reboot in a continuous loop. The recommended procedure when doing a significant motherboard swap is a format and reinstall.

If however the motherboard is based on a similar chipset then it may boot up at which point you can uninstall the old drivers, that may also work if there were no specialized drivers installed for the SATA or PATA/IDE controller.

For Windows XP you can also sometimes do a repair install from the Windows XP CD that will allow you to retain the programs, data, and settings on the PC.

3. Marksammut

Hrm, There is two hard drives, So I believe One is containing the windows files, this isn't my personal Desktop, it's someone elses. By Chipset you mean Same Make or?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, I mean if it uses an Intel chipset on the motherboard then your best chance at it booting up on a new board would be to get a board with an Intel chipset as well, versus an AMD, VIA, SiS, or nVidia chipset. The board you mention in your other thread uses an old ATI RC410 + SB450 chipset so you'd ideally want a replacement board with the same chipset.

Also, make sure you don't spend more then its worth, a Pentium 4 system is past its prime and general value is equal to a new board, about $100 for a used Pentium 4 system. And looking at your other threads you may have other damaged components, burning smells are never good.

5. Marksammut

Well I found a Pentium 4 which is only £3 so If it's the CPU then I could buy it but I 100% think it's the motherboars. Also how would I find the ATI RC410 + SB450 chipset

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What do you mean how would you find it? You would have to search for a motherboard with that chipset.

7. Marksammut

But how do I find a motherboard with that Chipset? Mark

8. GeorgeJ

GeorgeJ

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1039415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice