1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

replace or add ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by catlady13, Feb 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

HI , system specs...
    40 gig hard drive running XP pro in NTFS
    2.4 ghz P4 processor
    768 megs of DDR 333 ram
    cd R and RW drive
    dvd drive.
    I am seriously thinking of buying a DVD burner today and am wondering if I should replace one of my optical drives or add it to this . If I add I will have three optical drives and one hard drive .. If I should replace one of the optical drives which one would you suggest and which would you place then as master /slave? Thank you for your suggestions ..

2. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

I would KEEP the dvd player (for obvious reasons I won't mention) and uninstall the cdrw to leave room for a second hard drive upgrade. Setup:

Primary IDE
    Master #1 hard drive
    Slave DVD player

Secondary IDE
    Master DVDRW....
    Slave Future hard drive expansion

The CDRW will only use system resources that are unnecessary, so just eliminate it and leave an open bay for another hard drive to be added (the DVDRW..... will do everything the CDRW will do). You also want to watch your temps when running multiple drives like that. Extra case fans are sometimes needed to keep the operating temps down to a reasonable level. Because of transfer/playback speeds, you always want the optical recorder to be a Master and the player to be a Slave and both to be on separate IDEs. Also make sure DMA and sound are enabled. Keep an eye on instabilities that may crop up from a power supply overload as you upgrade your system. It is quite common.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If the burner you are contemplating is also a cdrw You could lose the CDRW you have. Though it is probably a faster drive.

If you are not planning on Making back up copies of DVD's I would replace the DVD with a burner.

I would then get a larger Harddrive to add to the 40Gig you already have. But this a personal observation.

4. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

2MB Buffer with Superlink Buffer Underrun Error Protection
    Convenient E-IDE/ATAPI Plug and Play Interface
    MPC-III Compliant
    Multi-Format Writing DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, CD-R, CD-RW
    Reads DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM
    Record up to 4.7GB of Data Per Side on DVD Media
    Ultra Speed Media Support
    Windows XP/2000/ME/98 Compatible

Yup this thing seems to play and write but I could use it to read the dvds too could I not ?? I am not quite sure why it is obvious that I should keep the DVD player?? Or am I overlooking something VERY obvious? I would like to back up some of my own DVDs .. which I do believe is legal .. being a Canuck and all .. in case I lose them , my cats nibble on them ( which they do) etc etc .. I would need to rip them to my hard drive anyway .. hmm but I guess having the dvd player would save my burner ?? with the reading ? ?

5. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

"I am not quite sure why it is obvious that I should keep the DVD player?? Or am I overlooking something VERY obvious? I would like to back up some of my own DVDs .."

DVDs DON'T playback on anything except a dvd player; neither a cdrom or cdrw!!!! If you don't keep the dvd player you CAN'T backup your "OWN" dvds.

6. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

Is there some reason I shouldn't play them in the DVD burner ? It seems to work to play them as well . Oh it is purchased , installled and works like a charm . I am SO happy with it and thank you for your advice.

7. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

You can play the dvds in either the player or the burner. I just meant that you wouldn't be able to "copy" your own dvds because you would have no way to play them (dvd burner, cdrom/cdrw). With no dvd player, there would be no way to play them so they could be recorded by the dvd burner. Sorry if I confused you.

8. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

HMMM that is odd because I do that all the time with my cd burner ... I don't like to copy " on the fly " from one cd player to the burner because I found I made too many coasters that way .. Now that was before I built my faster system so maybe that was the problem , but I've been doing my copying right now using just the DVD burner. It makes a temporary copy on the hard drive and then erases it when it is done.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/204184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice