1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replace or repair

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TVEE, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TVEE

TVEE Thread Starter

This is an old computer by computer standards that my daughters use for schoolwork. They do use Photoshop and watch a lot of Youtube etc. But nothing very demanding. We are having quite a few issues with it eg very slow boot up (again), very slow operation and turning itself off. After it turns itself off we get a "system has experienced a critical error and had turned itself off for its own protection" or somewhat similar. In the log viewer it seems to have quite a few Service Control manager errors. Should I, 1. try to suss this issue out? 2. consider the PC is old and look for a new one? 3.Reformat the whole computer, hoping with it's specifications it will eliminate the issues, free up space and speed up the PC to a useable rate? What are the thoughts?

Is it an easy Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 999 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 144412 MB, Free - 29760 MB; D: Total - 8197 MB, Free - 3747 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 0A50h
    Antivirus: CA Anti-Virus, Updated: No, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You don't think Photoshop is demanding? It must be an old version that it even installed on the computer.

It's very old and seriously underpowered. It's not worth spending money on upgrades. About the best advice I can think of is a reinstall of Windows and only install the bare minimum programs she needs to do her homework. If Photoshop is required, you need a new computer.

3. TVEE

TVEE Thread Starter

Yes. Photoshop is seriously outdated ie. Photoshop 7! Yes, i'm thinking along the lines of replacing the PC just thought there may have been some trace of hope. Thanks heaps.

4. rosiesdad

rosiesdad

Well, for kids schoolwork I would consider that a good computer.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I'd reinstall a fresh operating system .. You might be surprised how much better it will run.
    I've had PS intalled in an older computer, It wasn't as fast, But it got the job done when needed.
    Then you can decide if you need a new computer.

My main Computer is not much better than what you've listed (More RAM) .. And it's running PS CS5.
    I'd rather work in XP .. Than my newer W7 computer.

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model name and model number of that HP and what's the product number(P/N) on the sticker?

--------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice