1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replace Processor on Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gw282828, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gw282828

gw282828 Thread Starter

I am try to test a Intel Celron 733 (66Mertz) on a Compaq DeskPro EN Small Form Factor with 370 socket (FSB is 100Mertz for Pentium III 500). Bacause Celron is running under 66 Mertz. Will it fry the Processor? Will the motherboard is smart enough to downspeed it to run 66Mertz? I read the Compaq manual that the motherboard it will support both 66/100Mertz. That is another SW to set the Processor Multiper. What multiplier should I use ?

Thanks for the help inadvance.

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Not being smart but that cpu you speak of is on peoples key rings or in the trash. I would install it and if it boots go straight to bios and check or change the speed if needed. You are not losing anything if the cpu screws up so give it a try.

3. gw282828

gw282828 Thread Starter

Before I try the Celron, I want to know if it will fry the motherboard. I am not concern if the Celron got fry. I just didn't want the orginal computer got damage because I stil have some use of it.

thanks

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A Pentium 500Mhz may actually be as fast or faster then a Celeron 733Mhz. The PIII has a faster front side bus and more L2 cache, those can make up the for the slower clock speed.

5. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Short answer,if that Celron will fit the socket on the mobo give it a try. It will not hurt the mobo,just will or will not work.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/503305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice