Replace rented router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LizaToo

I currently have satellite Internet and phone service, with a rented router. I feel that the router has long been paid for -- I have paid $150 for it so far. I would like to replace it with a purchased router to save a little money over the long term. It is a ZTE ZXHN H298A, which has a phone jack. There is a huge number of routers available and I am wondering how to compare quality.

plodr

Liz
You have a device called a Gateway. That means it is a modem and router combo in one device.
Ask your satellite provider what Gateways they support. If you don't do this and purchase one they don't support, they can block the signal to the device so you get nothing.

I use Comcast/Xfinity and have always purchased my own gear. Before I buy, I make sure I have a list of models they support.

LizaToo

Thank you. The company I am dealing with says that I cannot supply my own gateway.

You could probably add your own router, but you would be stuck with their modem and the rental fees.
Not much you could do about that.

Couriant

James
To echo on what has been said, you most likely have a modem/router combination. Since this is a satellite company, you may be stuck with the equipment they have, unless they are willing to give you a modem only device, but then you are still going to have to pay for that per month. This is something you are stuck with I'm afraid.

LizaToo

Satellite or radio line of site. No cable, no DSL. Making the switch to radio line of site with the only company in the area.
Satellite - 10GB/month + VOIP, squelched to 150kpbs after 10GB -$93/month (taxes included)
Tower-based service is unlimited data + phone - $96/month
Not a great choice in rural settings.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts