1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replace Vista with XP

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Kentikki, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kentikki

Kentikki Thread Starter

I bought a Toshiba laptop - Equium (pentium dual core) - with windows vista home premium installed. Thing is can I re-install XP on this machine? I have allready tried to shift the boot disc to the cd/dvd etc. but it doesn't work. Am I f****d or is there a solution out there? Vista has pretty graphics, but it's ****!!

2. VMX

VMX

You will need to do a clean install to load XP. Before doing so make sure that verify that there are H/W drivers available from Toshiba before going ahead with the OS load.

3. Hughv

Hughv

You'd probably be better off learning to live with Vista.
    Check out the tweaks sticky and make some adjustments and you'll like it much better.

4. NeoBix

NeoBix

I agree with Hughv here.

5. kickback999

kickback999

Vista is the worst operating system since ME.
    And the primary reason micro$hite is rapidly losing ground to apple and Linux.
    Yes, in the meantime before you can upgrade to Linux or get a Mac you definately should go back to XP. You also should not need to tweak Vista to get the best performance especially considering the price you pay for it and the amount of resources spent on its development.

Are you saying there is no way to set the cd drive as the 1st boot device?
    What about USB?
    If not you could try shifting the hard disk to another pc, reformatting it and installing xp there.

N.B. Vista's "pretty" graphics are not pretty. They are an old idea even my playstation one could do transparent graphics. If you want a pretty gui (or a resposive or reliable or secure one for that matter) Windows Vista is not the way to go.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    How much time have you spent using Vista?
    Not much as you do not know what you are saying!

7. NeoBix

NeoBix

You don't know a single thing about Vista apparently.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Before even trying this you need to know there are drivers for XP such as sound, ethernet and video that never seem to be available because you will wind up with a pc that is a paper weight as most have.
    Everyone is right, there is nothing wrong with Vista, it's a great OS.

9. help me please

help me please

and listed in your profile is "Linux Geek".
    and under computer specs?
    "OS's: Fedora 8 Linux with Compiz Fusion
    ... and winblows 2000 sp4 (pile of ****) on a 40gb hdd"

i think that says it all.
    thing is, you say you shouldn't have to tweak it? youll spend your entire life tweaking linux. and mac? far too simplistic and too expensive.

i just installed vista, and the only problem i have had is that my network driver got mis-installed (my fault, i was using it at the time).

10. Dyonas

Dyonas

I'll just echo what pretty much everyone else (that's used Vista more than 5 minutes) has said and recommend spending some time with the OS before judging it based on unfamiliarity, biased online reviews from clueless reviewers and the "we hate Vista" crowd. If you're dead set on going to XP then you must make sure that your laptop has XP drivers available. With it having Vista preinstalled they may not have XP drivers for it but if you want to put XP on you will have to find them or risk having issues with sound, graphics and network at least.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well stated Dyonas!

12. Kentikki

Kentikki Thread Starter

Thanks for your help folks. Think I'll stick with Vista, even thought some features seem to be 'one step forward & three steps back' (compared to XP).

13. jfm429

jfm429

I would also consider dual-booting Vista and Linux and using Linux as your primary OS. You can boot into Vista when necessary, but 99 percent of what you can do with Vista you can do better with Linux. I've been running Fedora 8 on my old XP box for a while and it's a huge improvement even over XP. If you feel adventurous, you can even run Wine and run (some) Windows apps right within Linux.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/713058

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice