1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replace XP with win98

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 3Arrow, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 3Arrow

3Arrow It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

I recently purchased a new computer which has Windows XP installed. After reading about XP I do not want to use it. Can I simply format the hard drive and put in Win98?

The computer is a complete system, monitor, CD and floppy. Will 98 find the hardware?

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    First, I'm going to move this thread to the Windows forum. This is the business applications software forum.

Second, I'm not Windows-illiterate, so I'll tell you that I don't believe you'll have any problems formatting and going with Windows 98. I'd probably do the same thing myself.

However, it *might* not recognize your hardware. Prior to doing anything, get thyself online and go to the sites of your hardware manufacturers and get yourself the drivers of your hardware components for Windows 98 OS. Put them in a safe place. Then, you'll probably be able to load it all using generic drivers from Win98, then reinstall your hardware with the 98 drivers you downloaded. Hardware may be new, but the companies should still provide drivers in case people install that piece on a 98 PC. I'm sure you understand.

I'm also sure other people will have links to non-manufacturer driver download sites where you might obtain those drivers you need. They'll also tell you any other precautions you should take, like making a Win XP bootdisk first.

Good luck with it!

3. angel

angel

Actually, you'll want a Windows 98 boot disk which you can download <a href="http://www.bootdisk.com">here</a>.

Dreamboat was right on with the suggestions. Should be smooth sailing for ya.

Can I ask why you don't want to stick with XP? Personally, I prefer it over 98 unless you have a specific piece of hardware or software that won't work in XP.

4. 3Arrow

Thank you both.

I tried the web site for bootdisks, and not being computer literate, I do not know which I would need. Can I use the startup disk from my old computer which has Win98?

Windows XP seems to require too much space and work. I also have several programs that are a few years old. I do not know whether they or my Iomega and printer will work. Seems like a silly thing to try.

Kandy

5. Brooks

Brooks Guest

You might could use the start disk that came with your old computer. It would depend on whether it is one of those restore disks or if it is an actual boot floppy for Windows 98.

If it has a microsoft label and copy right, then it probably will. If it has the computer manufacturer's label on it, then it might not. Some of those are specific to the manufacturer's computer.

Since your computer is new, you might be able to boot from the Win 98 Cd. To see if it will, put in the cd and restart the computer.

6. TedOlsen

TedOlsen

Hi,
    I'm not too thrilled with the look of XP either and it's always a bother to learn a new OS but in the long run, you might be ahead to use the XP. This is not a technical answer but hope you consider the idea.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If winxp was installed using ntfs then you will need to run fdisk [from the win98 boot disk] to delete the non-dos partition. Since win98 does not recognize ntfs, you will need to create a primary dos partition.
    If winxp was installed using fat32, then all you will need to do is format and install win98. As was previously stated have updated drivers for your hardware such as video card, sound card, nic card, etc.
    Another problem is the size of your hard disk. Win98 has some limits [I cannot remember what they are right now] as to the size of the hard disk it will recognize. You may have to partition you disk anyway depending on how large it is.
    I would try and learn the new os. If you need to get updated software or updated hardware and or drivers it will probably be better in the long run for you.
    Unless there is a compelling reason to have win98, stick with winxp. Win98 is five year old technology. You may encounter problems with modern hardware.

8. 3Arrow

Thank you all for your help. This is solved. Can't load 98
    SE, there are no drivers available for the new computer parts. I will learn XP and buy new programs.

9. Matrikx_

Matrikx_

This is for all of those who dont know. I have recently formatted XP of this computer and installed 98se. To make the devices work you only have to use the device drivers from the recovery disc. Yes Yes Yes i know what the manufacturers say." no we dont have device drivers for Win98" But the device drivers work fine for me. I have all sound keyboard mouse speaker monitor and printer capability as before.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice