1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replaced Hard drive and lost sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tazocitrus, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tazocitrus

Tazocitrus Thread Starter

I recently replaced my hard drive and rebooted windows Xp. Ever since I have not had any sound. I have reinstalled drivers from Xp and the Realtek website, I have tried new speakers, I have checked all mute and volume settings, I have looked to see if anything was disconnected inside the case, I have tried both speaker jacks, and yet I still have no sound.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Shaun

2. Hughv

Hughv

Check everything again.
    Delete everything under sound in Device manager and reboot to force a reinstall.

3. ViprXX

ViprXX

if all drivers are installed correctly and winxp detects the sound card try opening winxp's sound mixer/volume control (Double-Click the little speaker down by the clock) and once its open click Options then properties and make sure Playback is ticked then at the bottom put a check in each box to show every playback control then click ok and check all the volume levels again.

good luck

4. Tazocitrus

The playback button is checked and all the volumes are up. I am so stuck. I uninstalled RealTek Audio and reinstalled in. Still nothing. When I go into sound systems it says there is no 'windows default'. Could Xp be screwed up? Any other thoughts?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are there any Unknown devices listed in Device Manager? Anything at all, even if you don't think it's related to audio?
    List all the things that are under Sound and Audio in Device Manager. It may be that the drivers aren't installed.

6. Tazocitrus

I went through the entire list on my device manager. There are no markings other than 2 red x's on the netwrok cards because they aren't plugged in. Could not having any sound have to do with my chipsets?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice