1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replaced Hard Drive on Dell Inspiron 1720

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by PeterPrinter, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterPrinter

PeterPrinter Thread Starter

Hello Again from the UK: I am stuck yet again and turn to you fantastic experts for some much needed help.
    It started when my laptop would not switch on and I got an error message STOP:c000021a (Fatal System Error) the system has been shut down. Error Code 2000-0146. Msg unit 1: DST Log contains previous errors.Went through all the suggested repairs on the pc but to no avail
    So I went to the superstore PC World and they told me it my Hard Drive needed replacing and it would cost the set price of £220.00 for them to undertake the repair. I thought this was a mega amount of money to replace a hard drive so I bought one and replaced it myself - it seemed a simple thing to do.
    I had the original discs sent by Dell with the machine. I inserted the Windows Re-installation DVD and restated the Computer. Had to use the f12 key to load the Boot Menu and then highlight the CD/DVD drive. This worked and the programme seemed to be installing and went through menu options that I needed to complete. After some time it eventually reached a screen Installing Windows and went through Copied Files, Expanded Files, Installed Features, Installed Updates and Completing Installation and each had a green tick. It then said Windows needs to restart to continue and closed down and restarted. It then said in White on a Black screen Please wait a moment while Windows prepares to start for the first time. After a few minutes it went back to the Installing Windows screen with all the headings still ticked as previously with a line saying Completing Installation and there it sat doing nothing or so I thought. After 4 hours the screen has turned black apart from a white arrow head pointer and it been like that for 4 hours.
    Have I done something wrong? Should I have run any of the other discs Dell sent me with the machine before running the Windows Re-Installation Disc.
    I have my system backed up on a iomega portable hard drive so hopefully once I can get the machine running again i will be able to reinstate my documents and photos
    Clearly I only have a very basic knowledge but felt confident enough to change the hard drive but now I'm stuck and hope you can point me in the right direction as you have done so well previously. Thanks in anticipation

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice