1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replaced Hard Drive/RAM-Now Comp is slow..>HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by andjc1, Nov 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andjc1

andjc1 Thread Starter

Hi, I had a hard drive crash that needed replacement(system could not detect hard drive at all). I replaced the hard drive and doubled my RAM from 512 to 1024. After reloading Windows XP and other programs everything has been slower, including downloading internet pages. Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks.

2. natcom

natcom

make sure the new Hard drive you replace Primary IDE channel is setup for DMA not PIO from within windows you can check this on computer management IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers also make sure your you test your ram

if you have 2 ram stick only boot with one ram stick at the time and test for the problem

there is also software you can use to test for bad ram like http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

3. andjc1

andjc1 Thread Starter

I checked Primary IDE Channels in my Device Manager, under Advanced settings it shows Transfer Mode to be "DMA if possible" on both.

Can I disable one stick at a time or do I need to physically remove it?

4. andjc1

andjc1 Thread Starter

I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic twice and it detected no problems...

5. Colossus610

Colossus610

You can start by turning the computer off, removing the RAM you added then restarting and if the problem persists, the RAM has been ruled out as a cause.

Also, if you replaced the hard drive, make sure the new drive ha the correct jumper configuration, I have seen particularly Western Digitals, that if the jumpers are not set exactly as the hardware is configured, it will cause a slow system.

Example, on WD drives, if you have the jumper on the "Master" pins as read by the silk screening on the board, it is actually "master with slave present", so the system flips out, thinking there is a second drive somewhere. On WD drives, removing the jumper altogether sets it as a single drive.(if it is the only hard drive present on the IDE cable)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Even though the one on the bottom circuit board says only master, it is actually "Master with slave present", it still confuses me sometimes, this issues sometimes affects many different manufacturers, so make sure you set the jumpers right.

6. natcom

natcom

physically remove it

7. Colossus610

Colossus610

We don't know if he only has ONE hard drive

8. Colossus610

Colossus610

We don't know if he only has ONE hard drive, or if it's the sole device on that cable.

9. natcom

natcom

im talking about the Ram

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/419014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice