Replaced Hard Drive Start up Error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mikecu11

I just had my hard drive replaced by dell. The self disk test gave an error that according to dell required a new hard drive. I loaded my virus protection first, then loaded each other program and ran virus scan after each load to ensure I did not reload a virus. After loading everything and feeling comfortable that my computer was free from virus I went to user account control and turned off this feature. It was annoying to start a program and have to answer that it was okay to allow the program to run. As soon as I turned the user account control off I began to get the following message at start up Bad image hkcmd.exe and then when I click ok it goes to bad image igfxtray.exe. I decided to turn the user account control back on but continue to get these errors.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening?

Which Dell computer?

Presumably you are running a version of Vista; if so which version & which service pack?

Why do you mention a virus? I am not aware of a virus capable of directly damaging hardware. I do not know everything, by the way.

Did you install the OS, or load the OS from an image, then install YOUR programs?

Were the programs you installed from commercial CDs, or some other source? If they were from CDs you made [ perhaps downloaded a file, then burned a CD, or downloaded a file, then copied to a flash drive ] if you had a virus, the virus could have come along for the ride, so to speak.

Multiple possible causes.
Malware
http://forums.techguy.org/malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/806903-___-exe-bad-image-problem.html

Device Driver problem
http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/211925-hkcmd-exe-bad-image.html

Check with Dell for the latest video / graphics drives & instructions for installing them.

RF123

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online