1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replaced HD, now PC is dead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katieruss, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. katieruss

katieruss Thread Starter

I just changed the HD in an old PC, a Pentium 2, 333MMX that originally had 6gig HD. I upgraded the ram to 256 recently to speed the thing up, and loaded windows XP. It was working great and running XP no probs at all. It doesn't go online and the kids only use it for games, word, powerpoint etc.

I then decided to upgrade the hard drive for a bigger one. I picked up two used hard-drives from a car boot sale - the guy told us they were both 15 gig. One is a Maxtor 93073U6 (which online research has lead me to believe may actually be 30 gig) and the other is a 10 gig Seagate.

Firstly I tried to install the Maxtor. On initial bootup it listed the Maxtor (so it must have known it was there), and when going into Setup the Maxtor was listed there too. However there was no sign of the actual hard-drive once the computer went through the initial bootup. I tried putting the windows disc in but nothing happened. Could it be there is a problem adding such a large HD to an old machine, or maybe I forgot to do something in the BIOS? Or could it be a jumper setting? We set the jumpers according to the Master setting on this diagram http://www.sunstarco.com/images/dmjumpers.jpg

Secondly I decided to give up on the Maxtor and try installing the Seagate HD instead. Everything seemed to be fine, it loaded immediately and already had windows 98 on it. I decided to upgrade to XP and the beginning of the installation seemed to go fine - near the end of the installation the screen went blank. Since then it hasn't booted up properly (it makes a few noises and the light comes on on the USB hub, but it doesn't even give the BIOS information upon initial bootup) and the screen stays completely blank when you switch it on. Definitely not a power supply problem because you can hear the initial boot process and the USB hub lights up blue - also the CD drawers are opening fine. I am wondering if we fried the motherboard by switching hard drive or maybe it is a graphics card problem.

I decided to put the original 6 gig back in and it still won't boot up, same symptoms persist.

It's such an old machine that it isn't worth putting any money into it. If I can't sort it out the machine still has a CDRW drive, DVD drive, and 2 lots of 128 ram I can rescue. Also I have 3 different hard-drives now, the original 6 gig, the 10 gig seagate (although that one may have fried the machine), and the Maxtor that we can't get to work yet.

Thanks,
    Katie

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you got the Full Operating System on CD...

Hook up the HDD and then put the Operating System disk in and restart your PC ...you may have to push a key to get it to start...

then do a full installation

At a boot sale you never can say

3. katieruss

katieruss Thread Starter

Yeah I never tried that when I was installing the Maxtor. Hopefully if I can solve this other problem (the not booting up) I can have another go with the Maxtor and give your suggestion a try.

Thanks,
    Katie

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

That machine really isn't suitable for XP.

5. katieruss

katieruss Thread Starter

Initially I would have thought the same, but prior to my replacing the HD it was running XP surprisingly well. I'm wondering if somehow the motherboard couldnt handle another installation of XP?

Katie

6. kaaos

kaaos

i'd get a copy of win 2000 instead of XP since its going to used for minor stuff

7. telegramsam

telegramsam

That shouldn't have anything to do with the motherboard.

The Seagate sounds like a jumper issue. If it won't boot at all, the BIOS is probably conflicting. Is it the only drive on that same cable?

When I say the machine isn't suitable for XP, I mean that it can be unstable just by nature of being right at the bare minimum requirements for XP. Once you got to SP2, you've just added more background processes and larger resource requirements.

My suggestion at this point would be to pick a drive you want to use (hopefully a known good drive), set it to master, and leave it as the only drive on that cable. Put your CDROM as a master on the other cable--provided you have two IDE channels, which you should. Remove the DVD drive temporarily.

Then clear the CMOS. Remove the battery and unplug the machine for 20 or 30 minutes. Reinsert the battery and start up again. You can set your boot order to CDROM first, make sure that is done. Then boot up with your legal copy of Windows in the CDROM--watch to see if it catches the hard drive.

8. bigk

bigk

What are you talking about? I use to run Windows: Xp on a Pentium 3 (550 or 866) computer and it did just fine with 512 megs of ram. Sure you can't run F.E.A.R or any thing like that but it got the basic stuff done. ( ie: word processing and power point.) By the way I got a newer computer now. (Click on the computer near my name if your interested in knowing the specs.)

bigk :)

9. telegramsam

telegramsam

Read the specs of the OP's machine. Did I say it won't work? I said it's not really suitable. There's big difference between a PIII and PII

10. katieruss

katieruss Thread Starter

Here's an update. After it cooled down I fired up the computer again and it booted up this time. The BIOS is showing a keyboard error in the log files, so maybe that is why it wasn't loading.

Anyhow I put the 30 gig Maxtor HD back in there again. It showed up as 30 gig in the BIOS. My XP disc wasn't loading so I put in an old WIN98 boot disc and ran FDISK. Using FDISK the size of the drive only came up to 8 gig. Where did my other 22 gig go and why isn't the computer recognising it? I also formatted the drive. But it is only showing 8 gig. It refused to load Windows XP from the CD, so I am now in the process of putting WIN98 on there, with the goal of upgrading to XP once it's loaded.

But I would like some advice re how to get the computer to recognise all of the 30 gig HD rather than just the 8 gig it is showing.

Thanks,
    Katie

11. telegramsam

telegramsam

Probably a BIOS limitation.

What was that old machine? A branded system?

12. bonk

bonk Banned

You could try and see if there is an update for the Bios

13. katieruss

katieruss Thread Starter

If it is a BIOS limitation (limited to 8 gig), why did the Seagate drive I had in there before show over 9 point something gig? This one is supposed to be 30 gig but is showing less than the 10 gig Seagate.

14. telegramsam

telegramsam

Well, it may have been updated at once point, but since I told you to clear the CMOS...

What IS this machine?

15. katieruss

katieruss Thread Starter

Pentium 2, 333MMX with 256mb ram and Phoenix Bios. And I didn't clear the CMOS as it started working without.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice