1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replaced Heatsink now....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Git-R-Done, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Git-R-Done

Git-R-Done Thread Starter

Hey guys today i decided to replace my heatsink. I took the old one off put the new one on, and the i hook my pc up then go to turn it on then nothing happens...

-PC "turn on" like fans start,light are on
    -Hard Drive light on case is always on

Now all i see on my monitor is a black screen (like nothings connected)

After this i took my heatsink out to see if it was something with the processer and and went i took the heatsink off, the processer came with it because the thermal paste was sticky. I bent a few pins on my processer but bent them back using the old tweezers and credit card trick.

Thanks alot for any help,

Brennan

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If this was the heatsink on the processor did you remove the processor from the computer? If you did remove the processor from the computer it was probably not installed back into the computer properly and might not work right. If replacing the heatsink was there any white paste that sometimes use in between the heatsink and the top of the processor.

Did you remove the processor to clean the white paste off? If you did the processor is probably no good.

Processors are extremely sensitive to ESD = Electro Static Discharge and will burn out jsut with the pins being touched with out you being grounded and what ever was used to clean the paste did not help.

Sometimes there is a little square piece of material on the bottom of the new heatsink or that comes with it. This replaces the white stuff that was used before and the little white square has to be put on the bottom of the heatsink before assembly on top of the processor. Sometimes when the heatsink assembly is placed on top of the processor and clamped down the processor gets cracked and then is no good.

I can practically guarantee that some how the processor is gone south. I hope I am wrong but do not think I am. My best suggestion in this case is to take the computer to a qualified tech and have it checked out this is the best suggestion I can give.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486468

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice