1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replaced important WP file by accident, need version from an hour ago!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Jeau, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeau

Jeau Thread Starter

Oh...the horror! I accidentally replaced a file with another file in WordPerfect. Here's what happened: WP had crashed while I was working on a document. I reopened WP, then chose to rename the backed up file by using the name of the original file, thus replacing the pre-crash version. WP even asked me "[Your document name] already exists. Replace?" to which I said yes. Great, right? Wrong...I had chosen to replace a similarly named but MUCH MORE IMPORTANT file with the trivial document that I had been working on. How can I get the original document back?

What I already tried: right-clicking on "Properties" on the document name in Windows Explorer, in search of the "Previous Versions" button (as suggested elsewhere). No. Such. Button. Anywhere.

What I'm running: WP X3 on Windows Vista Home Premium on an Acer Aspire.

How can I get my old file back? Thanks in advance.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Unless you had a backup there is little chance of getting the overwritten file back.

3. Jeau

Jeau Thread Starter

HAPPY FREAKIN' ENDING! No thanks to Acer (I recently heard that Acer disabled some of Windows' recovery utilities and that there is a class-action suit against Acer since Acer customers paid for what was suppoosed to be Windows' full version but clearly isn't, hence the lack of a "Previous Versions" button)...but THANKS to my "My Passport" backup drive, I got my previous version! YAYYY, YAYYY, YAYYY...it pays to back up, and now I know that previous versions are available via My Passport if I am ever stupid again (this could never be...). Thanks to those of you who may already have been working on a response. Happy New Year. :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1034411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice