1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Replaced MOBO; Windows XP Won't Boot! BLUE SCREEN!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jskrakowski, Oct 31, 2003.

Unmark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jskrakowski

jskrakowski Guest Thread Starter

Last night i took out my MicroATX mobo out of my PC (it DID NOT have an AGP slot) and I replaced it with an almost identical MicroATX mobo (the new mobo DID have an AGP 4x Slot...I mainly want it so i can get a Radeon 9800XT this chrismas...lol).
    Anyways, I got the motherboard (the new one) out of another my mom's system (which she upgraded my recently). so i know that the mobo is fine. I got everythin set up in the Bios and it recognizes the AGP videocard (GeForce 2 GTS Pro), the memery, CD drives, floppy, and CPU. (i also has 3 fans in this box to cool it down... so it's not over heating).

I go to boot windows and i get this STOP error:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF894c640, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

And i havn't gotten past that point.

I've also figured that i should re-install windows from scratch (re-partition) but i can't seem to access the Boot menu to selet the IDE CD-Rom device.

it only seems to be recognizing my Secondary Slave; not Secondary Master (I have a DVD-Rom and a CD-RW)

I can't seem to get to a boot menu to manually select to boot from the IDE device.

I have to press F2 to get to my CMOS menu.

I can't get into my windows XP setup CD

I want to know know how to Fix this problem as it's a BIG problem to me. I want to get my computer to work. anything that you guys can do would help. thanks.

:confused: :confused: :( :confused: :confused:

2. PROJECT

PROJECT

you are getting that screen because in windows xp you can't just swap motherboards like in win 98 (I HATE THAT THIS HAPPENS) you can try to do a repair install but make sure you know how to do it first!!!! go to microsoft website and type in "repair windows xp" or just do a fresh install, you may lose your files even if you do a repair install. so if u want put the old motherboard back in and save all your files to disk. to start the install process automatically you must go into the bios and change your boot order so that your cd-rom boots before your hard drive, then just restart your computer with the winxp cd in the drive and follow instructions

3. jskrakowski

I've alreader tried all that (except for the repair install)

you see. I don'tmind loosing my files, as i do a fresh install of windows about once a month. I have archives of backup disks (jsut stuff i need).

I already did that with the boot order. but it jsut doesn't work.

and i get a message that says (can't boot from disk; place in a proper boot disk).

I can't seem to acess the windows install screen. cuz i can't seem to boot from the CD.

but i don't care aobut loosing everything. I was planning on fresh install anyways. I jsut need to learn how to acess it! cuz everything that i've tried won't work!

4. PROJECT

PROJECT

is this a burned cd or a genuine microsoft cd ( i dont care if you burned it i am just wondering if that is the problem)

5. jskrakowski

Genuine. bought from amazon.com. I wouldn't trust a burned disc for an O/S...

6. defunct

defunct

this is kind of guessing but if only the slave on ide2 is being recognised maybe this is worth a try:

remove the cd drive which is master and currently not working,
    change the working slave to master so you only have one cd drive,
    re-check bios settings to ensure correct cd drive is 1st in boot sequence and boot with xp cd in drive.

as i say i'm kind of guessing but if your master cd isnt being recognised it maybe fouling something somewhere so try removing it.
    Hope you can see my logic

7. jskrakowski

hey defunct,

I got from another forum this guy said to download the boot disks for windows XP w/ service pack 1 (since that's the disk that i have)

so i did. I got into the reinstall process.

and it formated and and put on some files (it's the DOS BASED part of the reinstall process).

well now im in the windows based part (YES!)

but it says that it can't find files on the CD.

i was thinking that it needs to find them off the Secondary master, so im gonna change the jumpers andget back with you guys on how it turned out (ihave a MicroATX box...... cRAMPED! at least I have MORE THAN adaquete COOLING in there....so it won't overheat.

8. jskrakowski

well!

i got it working

no more problems

:)

win XP is installed!

im rockin!

Radeon 9800 XT is in my future

the whole reason why i replaced the motherboard is because my old one did NOT have an AGP slot...now i do have one. :):):)

9. PROJECT

PROJECT

what got it working?

10. jskrakowski

What i did was re arrange the jumpers,

run from XP boot disks.

that's it.

pretty simple really

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/175972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice