1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replaced Motherboard Now Computer Model not Recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pumpman032180, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pumpman032180

pumpman032180 Thread Starter

OK, This is a painful story but here goes. Bought an HP Pavilion 735N used for my son to use for school. Needed a power supply but not much $$. Loaded CD's for the unit and everything was working great UNTIL the apartment he lives in had a lightning hit. Power supply was warranty replacement and still no go, so I bought a new Motherboard. ASUS A7N8X-LA model. Installed the board and the computer runs again but the back-up CD's get a message that they are not for this computer. I suspect it is something in the motherboard that is not set correctly to recognize it as an HP Pavilion 735N but have tried all I can think of in updating BIOS, downloading from HP site, etc. all to no avail. I have since loaded a version of XP Professional but have no driver for the Realtek 8201BL LAN or the Photo Card reader. Any advice on how to set the motherboard so that it is recognized as an HP Pavilion 735N which would allow me to reload the original system or where I can locate a PHY Driver for the Realtek 8201BL? This is driving me crazy that I can't get it to recognize the board which is the exact same model number as what I removed from the computer. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Nope. The version licensed to HP will only work on HP products. You should try contacting them about unlocking the board. They may help, or you may need to buy either a board from them or a new version of Windows.

There really are many advantages to buying a retail copy of Windows and installing yourself to a machine with no OS. Then the license is yours rather than the manufacturer's, for one thing, and you have a physical copy of Windows that can be used on a later machine if you upgrade.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    HP MOBOs must be Tattooed >> And it must be the same as originally installed.
    The HP OS is married to the Mobo .. See Here

4. pumpman032180

I have another OS running XP Pro but still cannot locate the Phy drive for the LAN Port to get it operational. I will see if I can get the Tattoo referenced in next message and get the CD's loaded then for the original system.

5. pumpman032180

Thanks, I couldn't find anything on HP's site about the board replacement and didn't know they had to be tattooed. I will try downloading the info you supplied and see if that resolves the issue for me. Board is exact same number as the one I removed so it should be one that I can tattoo and then download the restore CD's I have. I will have to print all the data you sent and then see what happens when I give that a shot. I liked the original system that was loaded better than the XP Pro I have now and I still need the PHY driver for the lan to have it located and turn on and cannot locate that driver anywhere except for Driver Detective and similar sites and I hate to buy a driver that I have on the restore disc i I can get them recognzed. Hopefully this will resolve my issue but I will have to try it and let you know. Thanks again.

6. pumpman032180

I tried the links referenced in the HP data sheet and cannot find a log in page to get the tattoo download from.
    Anything you know of that will get me to the correct signin page?

7. prunejuice

prunejuice

The tattoo is not a download. It's a physical characteristic that associates HP motherboards with branded OS's.

8. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    The MOBO can be Tattooed with software and the correct numbers ???
    Might try asking HP .. [email protected]
    This is not normally performed by "Users"

9. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    The Mobo tattoo only applies to the OEM version of XP that was supplied .. That will not need an OS Product Key.

If the Case still has a sticker on the side of the case with the XP Procuct code ..
    and you can find a copy of XP that's not the HP OEM version ...
    You can install it with the stickers Product code.
    The product code on the sticker proves that it has paid to have a copy of XP running in it.
    After you install it ... You will have to Call M$ to get it validated and explain why.

This might be easier than Tattooing the MOBO.

10. pumpman032180

Thought that was the next step. They are closed until tomorrow. The directions indicate it is a bootable disc that can be downloaded from their site. I would hope that even a "user" would be able to get the file and run it as long as they have the information to get the right download. If not, anything on where I can get the PHY ceiver for the LAN port? I need a Realtek 8201BL PHY ceiver to activate the LAN port on the board with the XP Pro OS I have running now. I'm working off the computer now with a installed D-Link LAN port I have but I prefer using the motheboard port if I can get it operational. Realtek's site requires a pasword in order to get it. Driver Detective and other similar sites say they can provide it, but for a cost. Looking for a free download if I can't hget the original back-up CD's working. Thanks again.

11. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    If you do not use HP's OS .. You will loose the HP's supplied Applications and Tools.
    They're probably obsolete by now anyway .. And it should be easy to replace them with freeware.
    I'm Not sure if this will help you with the driver problem ???

12. pumpman032180

App's & Tools don't bother me, just hoping to get the LAN port operating as well as the photo card reader. HP's system tools just made this part really simple to get operational. A lot of headache just because the landlord uses CHEAP labor and they didn't properly ground the apartment wiring. Lucky there was no fire as it impacted this machine, another his fiancee uses, (2) new flatscreen TV's were fried. Insurance and warranty covered most but not all. I've suggested he move ASAP. Thanks again.

13. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  14. pumpman032180

It tries to load but then says the files are corrupted and wil not activate the port.
    I'll have to see if HP will let me unlock the board or not. If not, the next step appears to be a purchase from a driver locater.
    Thanks for the help attempt.

15. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice