1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

replaced ntkern.vxd; system won't boot

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by TechProblems, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TechProblems

TechProblems Thread Starter

In attempting to install a new printer on a windows 98 system, I received a message saying "Exclamation NTKERN.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver". I figured this file must have a problem, and downloaded a copy to replace it. Big mistake.

After replacing it, the computer will show the windows 98 boot up screen for a short while, and then immediately shut off. I tried booting to a safe disk, and the windows 98 disc to change the file back to the original (which I left on the desktop just incase), but it does not recognize the C drive.

I receive the last part of a new computer on Saturday, and I'm thinking I can put the win98 drive into the new computer and swap the files back. This should work right? Is there anything else I could try? This disk/the data on it can be saved...right? Help?

2. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Yes, you can slave the HDD in a working computer, access it and backup/copy/save its contents.

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode after pressing F8 at startup?

If that works, try:

Start > Run > type SFC and press Enter.

This will check for missing or corrupted system files (you may need the Win98 CD).

Good luck.

Zee

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm surprised that the install process of the printer software didn't display a warning message that Windows 98 isn't compatible with the printer. All new printers that I've seen for the past year or so will only run with Windows XP, 2000, and Vista.

---------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice