1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Replaced Power Supply and Windows 7 Will Not Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nathanivey05, May 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nathanivey05

Nathanivey05 Thread Starter

First time poster here, hope you all can help me with this.

Yesterday the power supply burnt out in my Dell Dimension 9150. It had a 375W power supply and I upgraded to a Corsair CX750M (750W) because over the years I have added and added to the motherboard and maxed it out! I believe maxing out the motherboard is why the power supply burnt up. That or the age of the old power supply.

Anyways, after installing the new power supply, I was able to turn on the computer without any issue. However, as the Windows 7 logo was booting up for the first time, the Windows logo froze and then the screen flashed a quick blue and rebooted. After multiple times of running the repair option from the system files and then also trying to repair from the Windows disc, Windows 7 still will not boot. I even went into the repair mode and tried rolling back the Windows settings to the earliest save point and Windows still will not boot up.

I have seen a message that says it's a hardware issue and that if I have installed any new hardware recently, I should remove it. But the power supply is the only new hardware. Did I miss something, am I supposed to change a setting in the BIOS?

I did also change out the motherboard battery when I had the case open, but the BIOS seams to have saved all the settings. Any ideas guys? I would hate to have to reinstall Windows 7.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Change the setting for the OS hard drive in the Bios from AHCI to IDE/Legacy or vice-versa and see if it boots into Windows then.

Nathanivey05 likes this.
  3. Nathanivey05

Well thank you! That worked. I did not have the option to change to IDE, but I switched it to ATA and was able to boot up into Windows just fine. Thanks!

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome. (y)

(When you swapped the Cmos battery the Bios went back to default settings).

Nathanivey05 likes this.
  5. Nathanivey05

Ok cool, that makes sense. You know, I seam to remember having an issue with the hard drive not booting when I installed it about 4 years ago. Of course that was so far back I didn't remember I had to change a Bios setting until you said something about it. Your a life saver! Thank you!

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Glad to help. If you did forget before I don't think you will forget again. ;)

Nathanivey05 likes this.
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1170971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice