1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replaced power supply didnt help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eigil, Jun 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Eigil

Eigil Thread Starter

Computers power supply came to a halt the other day: Its cooling fan was not running and computer showed no activity.

Well, I replaced the power supply with a unit of the same band and specifications, and its now up running with the cables connected to the floppy drive, gard drive and CD drive as before.

The CPU cooling fan is running and there is a green light on the HD so the must be hole thru ...

PROBLEM:
    The computer starts up at all.
    No activity from the floppy drive indicates that the must a a fatal error of some sort ....

Any suggestions ?

My computer : Zeitec Celeron 433
    Win98 SE

Eigil

2. Eigil

Eigil Thread Starter

Re. The computer starts up at all.

Read " The computer dont start up at all"

3. slipe

slipe

Power supplies have been known to fry components as they fail, but it is likely that if your computer was working fine before then it should be OK now. I would be suspicious of the new PS.

If you are considering exchanging it get something with more power. As long as it fits and has the right leads there is no reason to stick with the same brand and specs. You can always go up as long as all of the parameters are higher, and it is often cheaper or as cheap to upgrade rather than be stuck with a certain brand and specs.

The reason I say this is that Celeron based computers tend to be minimal in specs. If you add components you can overextend the PS. If you can find one with more output for the same price or not much more I would try that.

I take it you are unable to boot to BIOS.

4. Macaulay/D/P

Macaulay/D/P

You say Celerons are under spected; you must remember that with the initial inception of the Celeron, it was a entry level computer wrt other models available at any given time; in addition the system is engineered to the system sold and possibly what you might do possibly with boards available at that point in time. (Entry level machines typically being characterized with what cpu is being used on the mobo)

Unfortunately, when time rolls around to consider such upgrades, the machine might be 4 or more years old. Some feel and perspective should be given as to age and "class" of machine that one is working with.

My own precautionary would be to put the same supply form factor into a case with the same form factor to stay on relatively safe ground. Know the form factor, eg micro atx; then select a suitable upgrade for that make and model ( the rationale being that they aren't going to manufature a supply with more watts than case form factor can handle. Eg that micro atx power supply of that wattage can be put these models of this manufacturer.

I have placed a link of related material.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x4a1c06350fe2d61190050090279cd0f9,00.html

5. Eigil

Eigil Thread Starter

Slipe and Macaulya

Slipe, yes I'm unable to get into BIOS.
    One more thing is that when I discovered the PS malfunction, I was nearly unable to touch the cabinet. It was extremely hot !!

From your input I gather that the processor has been melted down so to speak ..

Fortunately the PC is an old timer anyway

Thank you to Macaulya for the link

Eigil

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/137607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice