1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replaced ram now computer wont boot up.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stoosh01, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stoosh01

stoosh01 Thread Starter

Hi im kind of new to computer parts, so i thought as long as a ram stick fits in the slot it would work. i got Corsair Vengeance 16GB ram and put it in my asus m4n68t-m series mother board and i dont think it is compatible because when i turn my computer on all the fans and lights turn on but my monitor is black. i put my old ram back in but the screen is still black. please help

2. v0xp0puli101

v0xp0puli101

check your motherboards' parts-upgrade compatibility..
    might as well, what you have right now, isn't compatible..

just make sure, before buying or anything, you check what is just supported by your current unit..

3. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

4. stoosh01

stoosh01 Thread Starter

thanks now i know it can only support 8 gigs, but i still need to know why my screen wont show anything

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A number of reasons;
    1 You might have damaged something while working inside the case.
    2 You may have knocked something loose while working inside the case
    3 Possibly damaged mb slots when installing ram

Do the following;
    1 System OFF and ALL pw removed, remove the ram that did work and reseat each ram chip. Make sure it is fully seated. In addition, make sure ALL pw connectors to the board are secure. I would reseat at the very least the atx and aux pw connectors.
    2 Clear cmos or as asus calls it RTC. Use the jumper to clear rtc. Read your mb manual as to where the jumper is located
    3 Replace jumper to the keep position.
    4 Pw ON and see if the board will complete post. If it does great. If not, shutdown and remove ALL ram. Now pw ON with no ram and you should receive a beep code. If you do not receive a beep code, the board has failed.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice