1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replaced sound device everything working, but no sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kalv, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kalv

kalv Thread Starter

I've been using a used PCI Sound Blaster for about a week and found that it was slowing down my system and providing same sound quality as the on-board sound(C-Media AC 97). I have added the Sound Blaster after i formatted the computer. I uninstall Creative tech from add/remove programs, removed sound blaster from device manager and removed creative registry folder. When i removed all sound blaster drivers the sound was still working. I turned off the computer then i removed the sound card. I went to my motherboard page and got the sound drivers on their website and it is the correct drivers cause i used it before. I rebooted and the on-board sound drivers show up in device manager and it says its working properly. I have done the following:

1. I tried all three sound ports with three different devices and none of them produced sound.
    2. I loaded a system restore point to when my sound was working and it didn't work still.
    3.Windows Audio services is started automatically.
    4. My on-board sound card is listed in sound and devices properties.
    5. Volume is turned on max and nothing is muted.
    6. My on-board sound card is the only playback device listed.
    7. I showed all hidden devices in device manager and there is no yellow or red mark in sound, video and game controllers.
    8. On-Board sound card is enabled in bios.
    9. I have the latest Directx although i installed it when i had the Sound Blaster.
    10. I reinstalled the C-Media drivers several times.

I think this problem is caused by old sound drivers from sound blaster not being deleted properly. When i was deleting my Sound Blaster drivers i went to Creative's website and found how to uninstall their drivers, but one of the steps asks to put the sound blaster CD in and run CTZAPXX.EXE. But my CD does not have that file and some of the folders it asks for, maybe because this Sound Blaster is really old. My Motherboard is Asrock P4VM8 and my on-board sound device is C-Media AC97.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/723880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice