1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replacement battery not compatible...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hdsteele, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hdsteele

hdsteele Thread Starter

I bought a replacement battery for my Sony VAIO and whenI install it I get an obnoxious "Battery not compatible with...." window that opens and won't go away. Contacted the battery company and they gave me several things to do neither of which works. Anyone have a clue how to work around this with a VAIO running Windows XP? Theres got to be something I can turn off/unload to get around it. Trying to get around the $199 cost of an actual Sony battery. I see many battery manufacturers offering replacements for this model VGN-SZ120P. Certainly they can't all be bad..?

2. hdsteele

hdsteele Thread Starter

SOLVED: For the record and future searches.... there is a SONY file running at startup called ISBMgr.exe. Apparently its only function is to monitor the battery and make sure you spent $200 on one of theirs. When you haven't it pops in and tells you. Once it was disabled through msconfig the battery works and charges just fine. I do see online that results of doing this vary on the newer Sony laptops. The battery will work but not charge. On older units such as mine, 2 year old VGN-SZ120p running XP, the fix works fine. I won't get into the should they should they not do that argument....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/586190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice