1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replacement budget graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scotbruce, Nov 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scotbruce

scotbruce Thread Starter

Any suggestions, please, for a replacement budget graphics card for my son’s system (details below). He is a young gamer, who is frustrated by being unable to play the likes of Driver on his current system set-up.

He’s convinced he’ll need to spend over £100 (which he doesn’t have!), but I think he should be able to get a semi-decent budget card for more like £50 - £60 and still have some latitude for the immediate future.

For example, would the ECS EliteGroup AG400T8-D64 from the Review section be suitable for him?

My knowledge of graphics / games is non-existent, although I should be able to fit a new card for him (have upgraded most things, although not a graphics card).

I’ve learned a few things from other threads, but still lack the confidence to make my own decision in case I boot up and it’s not compatible.

2nd-hand, self-built system, P3 500, Legend QDI BrillianX-1S/2K V1.XX 100 MHz motherboard, Award 4.51 PG BIOS, 160 MB RAM, 8.46 GB Fujitsu MPE3084AE HDD, RAGE Pro Turbo AGP, recent, but not latest Detonator, DirectX 8, W98 SE.

Thanks.

2. linuxrocks

linuxrocks

Hmmmm... while you're at it, upgrade the processor, motherboard, hard drive, and operating system.

A good budget video card would be the GeForce 4 MX series. The lowest cost I've seen is around $50 USD.

3. scotbruce

scotbruce Thread Starter

Which of the GeForce 4 MX series would be compatible/the most suitable? - eg dabs.com lists umpteen variations.
    Sorry to be so thick on this subject area.

4. rugrat

rugrat

scotbruce

I checked your dabs site and came up with a couple of suggestions for a value card. Any of these would be much better than your current card. The 64MB of ram will make a huge difference.

Abit Siluro GeForce 2 MX400 64MB AGP Retail
    Mfr code: MX400/64MB
    Quicklinx: XYPWS
    £31.00 £36.42

AOpen GeForce2MX400 64MB AGP RP VO
    Mfr code: MX400-V64
    Quicklinx: 177HWS
    £32.50 £38.18

Abit Siluro GeForce 4 MX440 64MB DDR AGP RP VO
    Mfr code: GF4 MX
    Quicklinx: 17NDWS
    £54.00 £63.44

PNY GeForce 4 MX420 64MB PCI RP VO
    Mfr code: VCG4MX42PPB
    Quicklinx: 21F3WS
    £61.00 £71.67

Just an opinion.

SeeYa

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Scotbruce
    I agree with Rugrat and the selection. All cards listed would do just fine on your Sons system. The one I use as a utility card on most of my systems is the one Rugrat has listed:
    AOpen GeForce2MX400 64MB AGP RP VO
    Works great with medium to low end systems and provides adaquate graphic responses for most games. You know of course many of the high powered games are limited on your Sons system due to processor speed and configuration. A video card upgrade will help but will not make it into a 2.0Ghz system.
    Here is another link and more on that card.
    http://www.aopen.com/products/vga/aoa/m64-agp.htm

NewEgg.com has it listed for $31.00 US.

Dave

6. scotbruce

scotbruce Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice/suggestions so far - much appreciated.
    Any more?

7. videobruce

videobruce

nVidia is playing marketing games with their cards starting with the "4" series!

Beware of the MX 400, 420 and 440 models. They are worse than the "3" series "Ti" family

Do some research on this first! I wouldn't get anything less than a Ti4200 in the '4' series.

Since you are on a budget, I would go with one of the '3" series cards! Also don't get hooked on memory. 32MB is plenty! 64 and 128 is another marketing ploy so they can charge over $200 for these cards!

If you don't believe me, how can yo8u buy a DECENT MB for $80, but have to spend over $200 for a decent video card? Look at the number componants on each and tell me where the rippoff is!

Just another retail scam!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/104404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice