Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement CPU?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
Hi,
I posted a while back about possibly burning out my CPU due to lack of Thermal Paste.

I went out got some thermal paste reapplied it to the fan/heatsink and it seemed to boot up fine. The CPU fan was running perfectly, in time with boot up and my other fans were also running correctly. Job done, I thought it was all better.

Then I get the freezing again along with no booting up, I can hear the PC start up but the monitor picks up nothing and it just sort of sounds like its humming without much happening.

I went out and got a new cooling system, which is compatible and sort of the next model up from the one that was already installed. Same problem. Still freezing, fan was working perfectly and booted up fine.

So the question is where to go I go from here? I have replaced the cooling system, is it perhaps the case of replacing the CPU next?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as currently the computer is in bits on the floor!

My system spec is as follows:
Intel P4 3.2 Ghz
512 MB RAM 4OO Mhz
2 Hardrives, 120 GB and 160 Serial ATA 7200 rpm Seagate
ATI Radeon 9200 128 MB
WINDOWS XP2
Old CPU Cooler: Zalman ALU Super Flower Heatsink.
New: Zalman CNPS7700-CU Ultra-Quiet CPU Cooler
Motherboard is ASUS, had the computer about 2 years the BIOS has never been upgraded.

Last time i could check CPU was running at 40C

Thank you in advance :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Realistically it could be anything.
If the CPU has cooked too many times it may indeed have failed, if that is the case it could have taken anything else with it.

The motherboard may be heat damaged, the possibilities are endless.

Nobody here will be able to provide a definitive answer as only you have the PC. Trial by substitution is all that you can do without a several hundred thousand dollars worth of laboratory and a white coat...

#3 ·
Personally, I'd bet against the processor being bad. Normally, a processor failure is a binary thing, either it's failed or it's not. I'm guessing you have other issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.