1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Replacement laptop battery UK

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wilson1973, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wilson1973

wilson1973 Thread Starter

Hi,I have just purchased a Dell Latitude E7240,can anyone tell me where would be a good place to get a replacement battery at a good price and is it best to get a genuine Dell battery or do you know of a good generic battery place?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Dell Latitude E7240 laptop was introduced about 5 years ago, so I'm assuming you purchased yours in used/refurbished condition and its battery has very little burn time left in it.

From what I can determine, it comes with a 45 WHr 4-Cell Lithium-Ion battery
    Manufacturer part number HJ8KP
    Dell part number 451-BBFX

You can confirm that by looking at the labels/stickers on the battery in yours.

If you do a Google search by manufacturer or part number, you should be able to find several sites that sell a replacement one.

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. wilson1973

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I would try a search for 'Dell Latitude E7240 battery' on Ebay.co.uk to get an idea of prices.
    Personally I go for the cheapest I can find here in the UK.

5. wilson1973

Thanks do you think the chinese dell cheap ones might be a bit dodgy?Do you think they have a shelf life is somebody has had them knocking around in a warehouse for years?

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I've always got batteries from sellers in the UK because delivery from China can take a few weeks. I think batteries made in China are fine though. Most of the 'genuine' batteries are also made in China.

7. wilson1973

Ok thanks for your help

8. wilson1973

Do you happen to know what the best way to keep a battery in good condition for the longest time,for example how far should it be discharged before recharging etc

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I think the best advise is to only charge the battery when it's charge gets low enough to really need it and to remove the battery if it's fully charged already and you will use the laptop for a long time with the charger plugged in.
    Also if you don't need the battery for long periods, like several days, charge it to about 40% and then remove it and store it in a cool place.
    Heat tends to reduce the battery's useful life and it can get quite warm when it's in the running laptop. And a battery will only work for a certain number of charge/discharge cycles so charging it as few times as possible seems a good idea.

The above is what I have read online and seems to make sense although you may find other opinions.

If you can't easily remove the battery, as in many modern laptops, then I suppose you can only follow the first paragraph above.

10. wilson1973

Thanks for that,that sounds like good advice

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice